Looking at a truck tomorrow

Sewell Farms

Reaction score
So tomorrow I’m looking at a new truck. It’s a 1992 f250 rclb 4x4 e40d n/a. The truck itself has 377,*** miles and a fresh transmission rebuild. Running and driving everything working he wants 1500. What are some things I need to look for? Is this a good price? I’m based in Arlington Tennessee and hoping to run a little hot shot only a hundred miles or so. Ill be running for a local tool and die company and some more local places. I’m hoping for a little power upgrades to pull my dual axle with single wheels 25ft gooseneck.Will it do fine stock? I am eventually going to want power upgrades but I obviously am gonna need a few thousand trouble free miles pulling before I blow the head gaskets off or something. Information needed before 2:00 tomorrow lol. Thank you!

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen at the intake with the filter removed and at the exhaust for a cuffing sound when running. That should tell if there is any valve damage. When cranking without starting listen to the sound. Every cylinder should sound the same speed. If it speeds up anytime in the rotation it shows a cylinder with low compression. Make sure the seller has the truck cold for you when you arrive. It will tell you if the fuel and glowplug system works if it can start cold. Then the once over to make sure there is nothing obviously damaged or worn.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sewell Farms

Reaction score
Listen at the intake with the filter removed and at the exhaust for a cuffing sound when running. That should tell if there is any valve damage. When cranking without starting listen to the sound. Every cylinder should sound the same speed. If it speeds up anytime in the rotation it shows a cylinder with low compression. Make sure the seller has the truck cold for you when you arrive. It will tell you if the fuel and glowplug system works if it can start cold. Then the once over to make sure there is nothing obviously damaged or worn.

Thanks for the reply! I have known the truck and seller for years and driven the truck empty plenty of Times and has tons of power compared to my 08 f250 5.4. Do you think it will tow my gooseneck with loads under 10,000 pounds?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be an obvious extra puff that happens rhythmically sometimes accompanied by a larger puff of smoke but not all the time
Without the turbo itll be slow towing but itll still pull loads fine

Sewell Farms

Reaction score
So I looked at the truck today and will most likely be picking it up Friday. I loved it needs a turbo lol. What should I look for power wise without blowing a head gasket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online