Looking at 6.9 to buy

eric113

Reaction score
So I found a 85 ex cab 4x4 NA idi 6.9. The seller is asking $4000 this seem little high? Wondering if this a good deal or not? Or what would be a fair offer
for it condition? This would be my first diesel.

You must be registered for see images attach

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
I have an 1985 6.9 idi 4spd 4x4 it doesn’t have a dent on it and I paid $3200 he was wanting $4500 if it was me I would try and get the truck down to $3000. How many miles are on it?

eric113

Reaction score
I have an 1985 6.9 idi 4spd 4x4 it doesn’t have a dent on it and I paid $3200 he was wanting $4500 if it was me I would try and get the truck down to $3000. How many miles are on it?
Check out the 2nd to last picture.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit high, personally I’d keep looking for another. Or, if you like it then maybe offer $1,800...just my gut feeling but it’s probably gonna need a good bit work

Worth is only relevant to what you’re willing to pay, good luck on your truck hunt!!

Last edited:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truck is worth $1000, and the only reason why I give it a grand is the 4x4 and the dually.

Major red flags for me. First off, who gives a **** if it has airbags. Seems like he's just padding the description. Next, He focuses on air conditioning. Again, a statement like "has a leak somewhere." No kidding, sherlock? PO's will say anything to sell their POS's.

Next red flag is the heater core. That's a relatively simple job, and fixing it would go a long way to increase the price on the sale, especially in a cold climate. So it's odd to me.

The biggest red flag is the "very clean interior." uh no. His own pics prove that wrong.

My guess is, the wife told him he has to "sell that eye-sore NOW" and he's putting it on the market at such an outrageous price that no one in their right mind would buy it. Just for context, I got my '88 IDI Clubwagon for $3000, and it was a california van with zero rust, perfect interior, and a new engine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to be honest with yourself and figure out what your goals are. what you are looking at is a "somebody loved me enough to build me" truck. a dually supercab 4x4 NEVER came from Ford as a OEM option before 1999. back in 2010, I paid $1200 for my truck. the below pic is what it looked like when I first brought it home.

this is what it looks like today.
it's a far cry from where I started. i get bugged daily if I'm interested in selling the truck. I tell the if they have $8k, I'll sell. If not, have a good day. I actually had a guy who wanted me to follow him to his bank.

Bottom line. The truck is pretty rough, but I've seen rougher come out of Tx. If you do buy it, it should not be a primary vehicle until you have completely gone through the mechanicals and have determined it will not leave you stranded. You will need to learn the truck from one end to the other. Why? unless you know a old mechanic, none of the kids these days will know how to work on it.

and yes, I use my truck for commuting from kali to TX.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need to learn the truck from one end to the other. Why? unless you know a old mechanic, none of the kids these days will know how to work on it.

So freakin' true. The one time I had to take the truck to a shop because I broke down on the road I literally had to explain how to do certain aspects of the repair. Just yesterday I was talking to a local diesel shop about doing new injectors and pump for my truck and the labor/parts cost would depend on the condition of my injector sleeves. I've never read a mention of injector sleeves on a 7.3(non-powerstroke), but I could be wrong.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So freakin' true. The one time I had to take the truck to a shop because I broke down on the road I literally had to explain how to do certain aspects of the repair. Just yesterday I was talking to a local diesel shop about doing new injectors and pump for my truck and the labor/parts cost would depend on the condition of my injector sleeves. I've never read a mention of injector sleeves on a 7.3(non-powerstroke), but I could be wrong.

There’s not injector cups (sleeves) on an IDI. That’s on a 7.3 PSD....... he doesn’t know the IDI if he said that....... personally I’d find a different shop.....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s not injector cups (sleeves) on an IDI. That’s on a 7.3 PSD....... he doesn’t know the IDI if he said that....... personally I’d find a different shop.....

Oh yes there is, but you have to loosen the nuts first, there right next to the muffler, but if someone has removed the muffler then there really hard to find, any muffler shop will know where there at tho.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I found a 85 ex cab 4x4 NA idi 6.9. The seller is asking $4000 this seem little high? Wondering if this a good deal or not? Or what would be a fair offer
for it condition? This would be my first diesel.

Eric looks like you’re not too far from me if you’re in Austin, what ideally are you looking for? I keep a close eye on the market and may have a few trucks for you to look at.

eric113

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I felt it high for what it is and the problems it is. I also think the guy will not drop his price down $1200-$2000. I live in Austin, most people within 2 hour radius selling Their old work diesel think they will fetch them premium prices. So trying to find a 4x4 dually that isn’t price sky high is next to impossible.

I didn’t know F350’s were only srw. That kinda of turn off since it been converted.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give him your card and tell him to call you when he's ready to come down in the price. If you can afford to wait, he might come down eventually.

Since you are in Austin, you might want to check out craigslist in Arizona or New Mexico. A lot less rust in AZ and the prices for IDI's are cheaper. Also, the deserts of California have hidden gem IDI's, if you can make the trek out here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online