Long crank before oil pressure builds and truck fires.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 more on the oil change. Remember that if you get air in the oil, it is the equivalent of trying to jack up a floor jack with air in the cylinder. Fresh and correct oil is a must in any Powerstroke.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input guys. I finally got around to pulling the truck out of the squishy backyard and in to the driveway, that being said the oil was super foamy and crappy I put in fresh oil and a big Donaldson filter. It cranked pretty long on the 1st start but shot right to life I let it run for about 20 mintues get up to about 130* according to my interceptor and shut it down and let it sit for about and hour and it still does what it did I before but seems like not as bad so the oil did help some,it also idles a lot better. Soooo now what? Back to possibly being the lpop?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lpop problem, a malfunctioning short circuit valve in the block that preventing the oil being supplied from taking the straight trip to the hpop tank instead of trying to run the lubrication circuit first .

Another thought, could it be with that dirty of oil that the filter was plugged and forcing the oil thru the filter bypass, might be stuck open partially or the pressure relief ccould be the same way.

Attachments

• OilSystemFlowDiagram 02 7.3.jpg
    OilSystemFlowDiagram 02 7.3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
Can I pull and clean that short circuit valve or would I need to replace it? Also as soon as I get paid I'm ordering a melling 208 for it

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I pull and clean that short circuit valve or would I need to replace it? Also as soon as I get paid I'm ordering a melling 208 for it

Don't know how you get at it, never been into one, but from the looks of it, the whole front end would have to come off.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
Lol thanks . I have one coming in the mail any way it had oil in the plug. But do you think that's what causing the long cranks? I'm stumped! I've got a ipr rebuild coming,Icp and Melling lpop I also want to pull the Anti drain back and clean it if possible

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your probably waisting your money on a new LPOP. To do the job right your gonna have to pull the engine to change that pump. If it eventually starts and runs good, the LPOP has to be OK.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
I've never heard of pulling the engine to do the lpop its behind the harmonic balancer on the front case it's even in the picture you posted

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Yeah, for the LPOP change you have to pull the front cover off the engine, but you don't have to pull the engine out. It's not a fun job, but it's not impossible. If you do change yours out, remember to prime it or else you'll have a hell of a time starting the engine back up for the first time.

Masami

Reaction score
I just changed my Low Pressure Oil Pump. LPOP mounts on the outside of the front cover. It is on an engine stand though. Just pulled off the damper, removed the old pump, installed new pump and new damper. Did not have to remove front cover.

But I'm a noob, so what do I know?:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online