Long crank before oil pressure builds and truck fires.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
Hi guys its been ages since I posted here on the ole oilburners but I have a problem with my 97 stroker. It's been sitting for awhile because I've been laid off. When I try to fire the truck up it takes about 60sec or more to build oil pressure then fire. Then it runs and drives fine. The hpop reservoir is full before I try to cold start it and oil level is at the proper level. Any ideas of what it could be? Maybe the low pressure oil pump or somthing else

Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the ICP, that lets the PCM regulate the oil pressure. If it starts quicker, then maybe something is wrong with the IPR, like the tin nut is loose, or the ICP is leaking oil thru it. Did the Varmits chew on anything?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
And how many miles are on those injector O-rings? They don't like to sit, and they don't like high mileage. If you haven't done them recently and updated to the new style, well, it might be time for it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and PSD's do not like diesel care products...
just sayin.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
The o-rings were replaced when the stage1s were put in last year. Maybe 15k on em and no nothing chewed that I've seen i tossed moth balls under the hood because I knew it was gonna be sitting. Every person I've talked to said lpop or the one way valve in the valley/anti drain back

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I think that if it were the LPOP, you would start right up but stumble and miss until it re-primed and supplied the HPOP the oil it was demanding. And if it were the anti drain back valve, your HPOP would be empty after sitting for a day. You're just not building the high pressure oil you need to fire the injectors for some reason. Or your glow plugs aren't working. Tin nut on IPR tight? ICP good?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dought ifm the LPOP is shot, unless the screen is plugged, but the tube from the screen to pump can crack, usually at the pump. Check the HPOP for oil level after about 15 seconds of cranking, if it's full then the LPOP is OK.
Have you checked the valley pan for oil, those HP lines and/or fittings can leak, slow start.
How many miles on the oil? Near 5K, change it. Using 15W40? Thick when cold. Cold weather, use 10W30.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
I pulled the plug and figured worst that could happen is oil shoot out while cranking. It drops and doesn't fill back up till the truck finally fires then it's really rough idling. And no leaks all the lines are new. The oil probably has 7k i know it needs to be changed before I put it back on the road

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Well, if your truck behaves anything like mine, I'm surprised you can even get it to fire with that many miles on the oil. I can't go anything over 3500 before my truck starts throwing fits. Change oil first, diagnose afterwards.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys its been ages since I posted here on the ole oilburners but I have a problem with my 97 stroker. It's been sitting for awhile because I've been laid off. When I try to fire the truck up it takes about 60sec or more to build oil pressure then fire. Then it runs and drives fine. The hpop reservoir is full before I try to cold start it and oil level is at the proper level. Any ideas of what it could be? Maybe the low pressure oil pump or somthing else

Thanks

What temp are you trying to start? How are you measuring oil pressure? Does it start quicker when plugged in for a few hours?

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
It's at any temp. And plugging it in makes no difference. My glow plugs work just fine because once my oil pressure gauge shoots up the truck will start in any temp

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil probably has 7k i know it needs to be changed before I put it back on the road
+1 on the oil change. You're chasing your tail with old oil; it could explain the extended time 'til the gauge responds as well as the slow start. If it persists after the oil change, then from your description of the res level dropping, I'd say there's something going on with the lube pump supplying the reservoir.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know what happens I haven't had the chance to doing anything plus the truck sits in a giant mud puddle from the thaw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online