Line-x or Rhino?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Mel,
The ones I have seen were installed under the rails. Now, since this was my neighbor's truck and used car lots, I cannot tell you which (hitch or liner) came first. My neighbor has 2 dark streaks that did not fade like the rest of the bed. Not to mention 8 plugs!

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I am having a B&W gooseneck hitch installed. It has a fifth wheel hitch that uses the gooseneck hitches hardware, so no rails or holes in the bed. It just sits right on top.

www.turnoverball.com

It's called the companion fifth wheel hitch. This gooseneck should look factory when I'm done with it though - I think it will look very sharp. I'm not buying the fifth wheel hitch, as I don't need it at this time, but if I do, I'll buy it then.

pafixitman

Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
so no rails or holes in the bed. It just sits right on top.

Mike,
I ain't the brightest bulb, but me thinks you will have holes in the bed.
To quote B&W "They install in about an hour, with no welding. The hitch assembly simply bolts across the truck frame under the bed while the bed is in place -- the only modification to your truck is a four-inch round hole in the pickup bed floor."

82fordtruck

Reaction score
pafixitman said:
Mike,
I ain't the brightest bulb, but me thinks you will have holes in the bed.
To quote B&W "They install in about an hour, with no welding. The hitch assembly simply bolts across the truck frame under the bed while the bed is in place -- the only modification to your truck is a four-inch round hole in the pickup bed floor."

I don't think I meant to say hole - I knew about that, although I am very glad I'm not the one installing it.....

I think i menat to say junk int he bed. This will be a flat bed when it's all done, much like it is now.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Ah Mike,
It is a great feeling down your arm as you slam a shovel into the 5'r rail! :rotflmao Been there, doing that!

82fordtruck

Reaction score
the gooseneck hitch in the old IDI was the same way. I am so excited aobut this new one!

The best part is that I will be able to load sheetrock, plywood, ect without 4x4's to get it up high enough so it's not on the ball.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
In my bed they sprayed the bed then added in the 5er hitch work - I don't have a 5er but have the holes left from the hitch that the previous owner had bolted in place...

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
I am having a B&W gooseneck hitch installed. It has a fifth wheel hitch that uses the gooseneck hitches hardware, so no rails or holes in the bed. It just sits right on top.

www.turnoverball.com

It's called the companion fifth wheel hitch. This gooseneck should look factory when I'm done with it though - I think it will look very sharp. I'm not buying the fifth wheel hitch, as I don't need it at this time, but if I do, I'll buy it then.

Mike

Whatever you decide for a hitch, just make sure it's done BEFORE the spray in liner. I have Line X and had to have it "patched" after I got the gooseneck plate, that the PO installed, out of the bed (no liner underneath). To say it looks like hell is an understatement...and it's peeling. :puke: That may be partially my fault. I haul with it a lot and I'm not as careful as I used to be with the liner. I'll have to get it redone someday.

Tom

82fordtruck

Reaction score
looks like I'll have to argue with "JJ" at the dealer then. I want the goosneck done first as well.

He says there will be trouble, but the guys at line-x say no, they do it all the time, and they are the ones that have to warranty it.....

what an ass....

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I did some testing on these products. I used a small piece of line x and rhino.

The rhino seemed to have a little more friction when rubbed on surfaces, and the line x was very stiff. At first, I thought that the line x woudl be mroe likely to peel, but saw a tailgate that had just collapsed with line x on it, and I could not get a peel started, at the bent part, so i thought this was good.

First, I cooled the samples. The line x became VERY stiff, but woudl not break, even upon impact. The Rhino did not either. I then tried to heat both. Both were heated in water to 180 degrees F. The Rhino became very pliable, but neither tore when I pulled on it with pliers. I attempted to burn them, but neither seemed to so much of anything.

I actually came to the comclusion that is was all a matter of personal taste, and I would use the line x because it looked nice, but the next day I saw the samples again, and the rhino had become very chalky, a grey color, and wetting it made it black again.

I went with the Line x, and it look great. I'll take some pictures soon.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Pictures.

Attachments

• 2620056190083752554dtQpzg_ph.jpg
    2620056190083752554dtQpzg_ph.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 2701970260083752554OwUUeZ_ph.jpg
    2701970260083752554OwUUeZ_ph.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 2833395340083752554xpRmgj_ph.jpg
    2833395340083752554xpRmgj_ph.jpg