Lil's motor is out, now where is it really leaking?

Shaker Breaker

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:Thumbs Up
Well you’re only gonna have it leak with it rigged like that. Convert it over to -10 an fittings and braided line, and put a bulkhead fitting where the grommet goes into the valley pan.
YES ! Mine was leaking so bad from there also. This is the way to go

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I built a small part that was basically a nipple with a tight-fitting plug that slides into the hole and a lip on top. Spread a bunch of Permatex 1-minute-gasket and press it in(so the whole thing is well sealed to the valley pan, the permatex acting like glue as well as sealant) and used silicone hose for the line. I did need a hose clamp on the bottom nipple, nothing on the top(just pressed into the nipple on the turbo drain). It worked surprisingly well - no leaks.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Since then I have devised a super simple and very effective system for oil leak detection. Using a shop air pressure regulator, pressurize the crankcase the crankcase to around 2 to 3 psi. It takes a few minutes to rig it up. The dipstick will blow out if you go to high, that is your safety valve. I’ve never created a problem doing this we use it on fleet trucks all the time. Soapy water applied to all gaskets and possible leak areas will show you.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that engine looks clean! I thought you had cleaned it prior to taking the pics. I would say you found your leak with the turbo. Now it’s a “how far do you want to go” game. I played that game and lost, because I went too far and spent my way out of my idi. Learned a lot though and with different life circumstances, would still own one. One day..

At a minimum, do that oil pan. It’s easy and only costs time and rtv.

For the rest, now that you’ve pulled the motor next time will take half the time. I would say leave the rear main alone; it clearly isn’t leaking. They aren’t hard, and once you did it you would never hesitate again. But in this case, if it ain’t broke...

I rarely post anymore cause y’all make me miss my idi. But this is a great forum.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
The oil cooler was done about a year ago so it should be good for a while.
I am going to leave the rear main, reseal the oil pan, seal up the dip stick better, and put in the bulkhead and braided line for my turbo drain back. Throw some more Ford new gray on some stuff and call it good [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you’re only gonna have it leak with it rigged like that. Convert it over to -10 an fittings and braided line, and put a bulkhead fitting where the grommet goes into the valley pan.

Wes,
Would you clarify one point?
To put the bulkhead fitting in the CDR grommet hole, do you typically cut a hole in the bottom of the baffle on the valley pan so that you can tighten the bottom nut?

You must be registered for see images

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can cut a hole, or you can carefully drill or cut around the spot welds to remove the whole baffle, install the bulkhead, and reattach the baffle. It has multiple layers and I prefer to just leave the lower one in place

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: The whole 10AN kit didn't work out so well for me.
I cut a hole in the back side of the valley pan and mounted the bulkhead fitting.
You must be registered for see images attach

After trying different lengths of the braided tube and ending up with the fittings end to end there just isn't enough clearance between the turbo and valley pan.

I tried a 45 degree nipple in place of the top one too. The fittings are just too long.

It was really close, but I just couldn't bolt up the bracket for the turbo.

So I went to the hardware store and got a 1/2 NPT to barb fitting and hose clamped the top. Not as cool, but it should hold.

So any one with the old school Banks setup be warned.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that stinks, forgot you had the older setup, but looks like your new setup will work well. The bulkhead still works fine right?

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sweat Wes! Yeah still used the bulkhead and the 45 degree connector, just had to change the top one [emoji1303]