Lift kits?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My springs are dead, bushings are gone and Almost negative arch now and 4 years ago I decided a “mini leaf” pack lift was a good idea. Anyways I want to get a real lift kit now, saving some money and taxes are in a few months. I don’t want to over spend because that’s easy to do with any parts on a truck but I don’t think I’m gonna go with rough country due to so many people saying how rough it rides? Idk if I really want to spend 1000$ on bds lift but that’s supposed to like the “top shelf” of lift kits to an extent anyway. Not planning on a whole lot of off road just log roads and 4 inch is gonna be plenty. Truck is 1988 f350 7.3. Or maybe it’s possible to piece together a lift onto my truck? Like buy some springs and then shocks and a pitman arm from different sources building a reasonable lift kit and saving some money possibly?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a shackle reversal kit up front with some 99-03 superduty leafs. Different springs from the superduties have different rates and heights so you can tailor the ride to your preference. Supposedly the Excursion springs are the softest.

Also saw where the 08+ superduty rear springs can be swapped in by moving the front hanger forward 8 inches and replacing the rear shackle hanger. That might open up more rear spring options.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most aftermarket lift springs ride rougher than the stock springs. Nature of the beast.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I ever decide I want more lift I will definitely do the front shackle reversal and Superuty spring swap. From what I have read most people seem to like the ride of the "U" code Superduty springs, and I think PMF makes a bolt on kit that doesn't require trimming the front bumper.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pmf only makes a kit for obs trucks. Obs trucks have a longer frame than 91 and below, so sd springs are too long for the stock frame. You can take the pmf kit and lengthen the frame so the hanger can mount on something, but you will need to run a custom bumper or space your bumper out.

Your easiest option, is to just do an rsk of the shorter spring, and use the sky kit
https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/products/ford-fsrob-002?variant=19424130948

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found my lift kit!! 4 inch skyjacker kit for 80$ at the junk yard on a 96/97 power stroke truck. Lift looks almost new truck was really nice looking no front end damage rear was blown out. Will the pitman arm off a f250 fit my f350?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pitman will work from the 350, so you’re going to lengthen the frame to use those springs?

Edit! Erm screwed up. Obs springs will bolt up. Missed the year

Last edited:

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The junk yard truck is f250 I have 350. From what I read the lift kits are from 86-97. They aren’t super duty springs it’s just a f250 with a skyjacker kit and I was gonna use the springs/ shocks and hopefully pitman arm? @Thewespaul

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Missed the year, sorry! I’ve heard those kits don’t ride the best, but it may be an improvement over what you got already. Can’t go wrong for the price really

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sell the center pivot drop down brackets and recoup some of your money.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 inch lift on my f250 and I can tell you the springs ride rough. You may be able to take a leaf or two out if you are putting f250 lift springs on a dana 60 axle.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking more into it now, it looks like maybe factory pitman arms have differences but skyjacker is coming up with 150/250/350 pitman arms being labeled as the same arm for 4-6 inch lift. But what I am also realizing now is Dana 60 has a track bar stabilizer in the center. And the f350 kits come with a drop Bracket for this. Is it really needed to be drivable? Or will it stop me from lifting my truck? Also seeing other stuff like custom track bars and ones with special ends instead of bushings coming up on my search. Should I upgrade the bar or just get a drop bracket? Also I live like 10 minutes from sky’s off road company so if I need parts like that I can run down there and potentially have them made pretty quick or just pick it up. Also on a budget to an extent don’t want to over think potentially something so simple

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will definitely need to retain the track bar, otherwise it is likely you will get death wobble. Skyjacker provides a drop bracket for the track bar because that is cheaper than providing a longer and adjustable track bar. Either one should work fine but the adjustable bar may allow you to "center" your front axle a bit better side to side. If you use the drop bracket, might be a good idea to replace the oem rubber bushings in the track bar with polyurethane bushings - that will help "tighten" things up a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Members online