Level Up! Goodbye Point & Shoot.Hello DSLR

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by FORDF250HDXLT, Nov 10, 2017.

1. FORDF250HDXLT

FORDF250HDXLT The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I captured the milky way....Now how cool is that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trees in the foreground are lit up during the 30 second exposure time with a flashlight.I could of only shined the light for a few seconds.Too bright cus I shined it too long as you can see.Takes some practice.Eventually,with some practice,I'll learn to just make the foreground glow a bit,just so it's not completely silhouette.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Runningaford, 79jasper and DaveBen like this.
  2. FORDF250HDXLT

FORDF250HDXLT The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air Supporting Member

Runningaford and gandalf like this.
  3. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

You're doing very well at this. I can see great potential.

FORDF250HDXLT likes this.
  4. FORDF250HDXLT

Horizontal panorama.You'll need to zoom in once to see it's an extra high panorama.
    https://ibb.co/iPumfw

Yeah,not much of a pic there but a what a killer shot this makes.You can bet this will be my "go to" in the national parks.;)

Because I was shooting straight up and how it had to crop is the reason it looks like a tree is growing out of the side of the sky lol.Just for taking as a test so I make sure I can stitch and crop.

Next up on the learning curve is "stacking". Taking several pics of the same shot combined with some w/ the lens cover on under the same ambient temp (don't ask me why,I don't yet know why it needs these "dark" images to go along with the light ones.I just started reading about it.)Then in software,learn to stack them, and this is how you pull in the extreme high quality details and bring out the colors in the nebula..........Wish me luck for this test.I'm gunna need it lol.

I need loads and loads of practice experimenting with different f stops and iso settings as well.Then perhaps I can master a few shots with a combination of Horizontal,stacked panorama's for some stunning displays......If all goes well lol.This stuff is insane.Very fun though.Takes hours of research.I'm gaining!:)

5. towcat

towcat Administrator Staff Member

not mime but a favorite :D

f4phantom1.jpeg

6. FORDF250HDXLT

That's nice!I haven't practiced taking any objects yet.I think it's overcast out there tonight so maybe I'll go to the park and practice taking some still shots like that of the buildings,swing set/play ground and the river.See what I can come up with.

7. FORDF250HDXLT

Lets see what this thing can do.;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were not taken with the kit lens (though,based on pics online,that little zoom lens takes a nice night shot too.)
    Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 I used I think around an 2.8ish range f stop.100 ISO.
    All are fully manual,focus included.30 second exposure.
    All JPEG direct from camera.Untouched.

Just started a slideshow on my flatscreen TV though my laptop........I'm impressed! I'm going to be taking some damn impressive pics on this years road trip.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    towcat likes this.
  8. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

A bit much ambient light if you want to see the sky and stars. Keep working. This is, of course, if you're wanting to do what I think you want.

9. FORDF250HDXLT

No stars out tonight.Too overcast.In town wouldn't work for night shots either.Just seeing how the camera does.My first normal pics with it.

10. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

In that case, pretty good. It handles night shots better than mine.

11. FORDF250HDXLT

That's the power of this fast glass.The Rokinon 24mm f/1.4.;Sweet

12. FORDF250HDXLT

The tripod came.Wow what a difference from a 15-20$ tripod.I'll have this thing for life.Super high quality.This thing holds the camera exactly where you put it,quickly and easily.Got a little remote too so I don't need to keep going into the menu and set a delay timer to avoid shaking the cam during my star shots (objects so far off,take such extra care to capture) each and every snap.

Now if this overcast weather would pass so I can go back out and get some more practice in.I hit the road in about a month.Get the heck out of this cold.:D

So based on what they call the "500 rule" in astrophotography,I should be using a 15,perhaps a 20 sec exposure max to get nice crisp,pin point stars (with my equipment) so I'll step that back down and experiment with the ISO some more.Need some clear skies again!

Man,look at this "low level lighting" for nightscapes.I sure like this much better than using a flashlight.I gotta look into this some more.
    https://www.bryanhansel.com/2017/low-level-lighting-nightscape-milky-way-photography/

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 5:09 PM