Let's talk radios

IH_Diesel

Reaction score
That radio above only plays that same ol station, same ol song all day long!! but it looks nice.

How did you fit it in the cab?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen one done that looked pretty good. Just a lot of work. I would probably get the single din - flip out screen version.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a pioneer head unit with USB, BlueTooth and 3.5mm in. I only use the 3.5 in. Haven't setup BT or USB yet. Probably does BT calling also, but I never use the talking part of my phone.

Agreed on the speakers. I have 6.5 Inifinity up front, 6x9 infinities in the rear doors, 10" kicker sub and 5 channel kicker amp running it all. Best sounding system I've heard in a long time. It's nice to be able to turn it up and hear it over the engine. This is all thanks to my brother as this is all the cast off's from a jeep he owned. If I had to buy it all I'd have a headunit and 1 speaker laying on the floor.

I would run all new wires for the stereo while you have the interior out. Even if you don't do a bigger system now.

Watch the front door speakers. If the 6.5 is too big they don't fit into the speaker opening well and you have to trim the door. It's a PIA that's worth avoiding if you can.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a Dual flip out screen unit a little while back. It was cheap, probably won't last but it is ok, BT, backup camera, DVD etc. Infinity 6.5's with separate tweeter for the front doors and Infinity 6x8's for the rear and a small box for my JL 12" sub. I bought a cheap Crunch 1000 watt amp for the speakers and I still need an amp for the sub. I have only begun to install it, so many projects, so little time.

Edit, the rears are 6x8's, I found the box and it corrected my whiffle ball brain.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a Dual flip out screen unit a little while back. It was cheap, probably won't last but it is ok, BT, backup camera, DVD etc. Infinity 6.5's with separate tweeter for the front doors and Infinity 4x6's for the rear and a small box for my JL 12" sub. I bought a cheap Crunch 1000 watt amp for the speakers and I still need an amp for the sub. I have only begun to install it, so many projects, so little time.
Hmm. Backup camera would be real nice for hitching the trailer...

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CC LWB makes the backup camera something I want. My wife can't even handle backing up a Tahoe without one.

I researched these flip out single din units for about a year, and none of them had good reliability reviews. Sadly the cheap ones seem to fair as well as the expensive ones. The Dual unit was $147 at Walmart, I can afford to replace it several times before I get to the price of the expensive ones. The Nav units were even worse for reliability but I have a Garmin and my Android phone for nav purposes.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Built in nav sucks. By the time you buy it, you would have to pay over $100 to update the maps.
Unless you get a android unit. Lol

I've had good luck with the dual stuff in the past.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CC LWB makes the backup camera something I want. My wife can't even handle backing up a Tahoe without one.

I researched these flip out single din units for about a year, and none of them had good reliability reviews. Sadly the cheap ones seem to fair as well as the expensive ones. The Dual unit was $147 at Walmart, I can afford to replace it several times before I get to the price of the expensive ones. The Nav units were even worse for reliability but I have a Garmin and my Android phone for nav purposes.

And for like $5 more you can get the extended (2 year?)warranty. Cant beat that !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online