Let's talk radios

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna need a new radio for Big Red. Long road trips with no tunes is no bueno. I'd like to have Bluetooth for hands free calling but other than that I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. What you brick nose guys doing for head units?

Reaction score
I have a $100 Pioneer unit I got off Amazon a little over a year ago. No CD but it has Bluetooth and works very well. My wife says the call clarity is better than my 2010 Ford Flex. For a couple bucks more they do make it with CD, but this one was cheaper and saves space (not as deep). All I ever do is stream Pandora from my phone anyway.

Mike

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pioneer that I've had kicking about since my 1995 Neon that will not die. I have another with all the fancy features that I'll "get around" to installing one of these days but I'd need new speakers. No muffler, big pipe and a turbo to quiet things down it's rather loud in there.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382101011616

Best $70 I EVER spent on my truck.

Hands free calling, shows caller ID. Brightness adjustment. If you have an iphone you can say commands to call people or ask about the weather, etc. perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I almost forget about pioneer.
Actually that may be what I have.
Sometimes places like Wal-Mart run combo sales that have the deck and 4.5 speakers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had good luck with Bluetooth through speakers. I just wear a blue parrot B450-xt. I can hold a conversation with both windows down at 70mph or in a boiler room, even ammonia compressor room.

DougsOBS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got an alpine deck in mine that does the bluetooth through the phone. Never really listen to FM anymore.

Also installed a set of Infinity 6.5 speakers in the doors. Speakers really make a huge difference.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I haven't had good luck with Bluetooth through speakers. I just wear a blue parrot B450-xt. I can hold a conversation with both windows down at 70mph or in a boiler room, even ammonia compressor room.
X2.
Have blue tooth in 4 tractors, 1 semi, and 3 vehicles. Its hard to carry a conversation. You gotta yell into the microphone otherwise the noise canceling will cut you off.
If you want blue tooth for audio streaming you gotta make sure it is blue tooth audio streaming... one will do calls but no music, gotta run a cable to it. Suuper annoying when the radio is directly in front on the headliner.
The kenwood is kinda glitchy
So is an Alpine
Two Other alpines seem good
Pioneer is the one without audio streaming.

In the semi i got a radio with a usb in the back and routed the cable through a cab pillar into the dash ( radio is up high in the center of the cab). Drilled a hole in the dash, mounted a usb in the dash and a cell phone holder next to it. Works slick

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Pioneer DEH-X6910BT from Walmart.
Cost like $110 or something.

It's a pretty good radio for the money. I use it with my phone(and VLC) for audio playback over Bluetooth, and it does the job.

Downsides are that the LED display is hard to see in the middle of the day(I ended up adjusting it to green for maximum visibility) and you *have* to setup the dimmer function if you don't want to be blinded at night.
One nice feature is the ability to set time-of-day dimming - I'll turn on my headlights well before I need the screen dimmed.

It's also got about a thousand features I've never used - these are only a few key features that I need.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Parrot makes some really good stuff. Most of the OTR truckers I know swear by them

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bought a "mechless" head unit from walmart for $20. All my CDs are scratched. It has usb, am/fm, bluetooth and an auxillary jack. All I need.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put an Alpine CDE-143BT in mine. It has a microphone - I dressed the wire behind the interior trim and located the mic on the DS visor. Radio works very well, BT is awesome, has a front USB input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller