LED cab lights on a 96 F250

Minuteman96

Reaction score
Okay so I’ve got a LED cab light set that’s all mounted and the harness is all good to go. The part that’s throwing me now is where can I splice this harness so that the lights come on when I turn on the headlights? The instructions say to find a 12V constant wire and splice them into that, but then I have to run a separate switch which I’d like to avoid if possible; I want everything as localized as I can get it. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks.

swald

Reaction score
I installed those on my '95 a few years back and all I had to do was plug it into the existing harness located inside the exterior wall panel near passenger feet. They came on with my headlights. I don't even think I had to change a fuse.
They weren't led though and I don't know if that makes a difference.

Minuteman96

Reaction score
I installed those on my '95 a few years back and all I had to do was plug it into the existing harness located inside the exterior wall panel near passenger feet. They came on with my headlights. I don't even think I had to change a fuse.
They weren't led though and I don't know if that makes a difference.
Yeah they’re different, how exactly I’m not sure. I have a 93 idi that has factory cab lights, and they go into the plug I assume. My 96 7.5 is the one I’m putting the LEDs into and I tried to splice them into the black wire of that plug and no luck.

swald

Reaction score
Well that's a bummer since I have a box of those I rec'd as a gift that I was hoping would be as easy a task as it was the first time around

Minuteman96

Reaction score
@Minuteman96 did you find a solution?
Yes I did. I wasn’t paying attention, black wire was ground and that’s why I didn’t have any power to lights. Spliced them into brown and good to go. I did test the brown and black with my multimeter and I must not have had a good connection with it cuz I wasn’t getting a reading on either of them. I’ll post a pic of the truck tomorrow so you can see how they look.

swald

Reaction score
Time for a run to Ace to get some grommets then

Olds64

Reaction score
Good to hear that you got your cab lights working. I'd like to add cab lights to my Bullnose truck. Did you drill the roof and install the lights from scratch?

swald

Reaction score
Did you drill the roof and install the lights from scratch?

That's what I'll be doing.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you remove the headliner, you will see the wiring (factory) spacing near the front of the inner roof. There are 5 wire holders, if I am remembering correctly. You can get the wire Factory harness that goes down the right front post and plugs in at the footwell. This makes it almost a plug-in process. You will have to mark and drill the holes for the roof mounted lights and wiring. NOT hard once you get to the inner roof panels.

Olds64

Reaction score
I got cab lights off of a Bricknose truck in the salvage yard. Unfortunately, some of the lenses are broken. You can get OE style cab lights from Amazon though. I figure I will eventually order this cab light kit and use the factory wiring I found in the Bricknose.

Cab lights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online