Led bulbs

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Wow, I haven't popped in for awhile. I refused to wire ballasts in my harness. Details in the thread in my signature.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those I think I looked at don't require a ballast supposibly for the headlights, I know the brake and turn signals just need a special flAsher

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned that resistors are needed when converting to LEDs, at least as far as the rear lights are concerned. I have a flatbed with all LED markers and tail lights. Long story short if there isn't enough current draw in the tail light circuit the ABS module will be unhappy and your ABS light will come on at 36mph. Also, without resistors I lost my cruise control. I purchased two Sylvania resistors or load equalizers, $15 each, and wired them just before my tail lights. The resistors do get warm so bear that in mind when installing/mounting them.

FWIW I found the info regarding the relationship between tail lights and ABS on FullSizeBronco--thankfully someone had posted pages from a shop manual that outlined the whole situation. I do find it odd that the system is designed so that if both tail lights are inoperative then the vehicle's ABS is disabled. I guess if you don't have brake lights then you don't need ABS, right?:rolleyes:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
one other thing since you mentioned cruise not working. when i had the flatbed on my 86, it also had cruise. 4, 4 inch round led tail/brake lights on it. with the truck on, but lights off, 2 led lights lit in just my outer two lamps, very dimly. the lamp had 42 diodes in them. if i unplugged the cruise, the diodes would go off. just something to think about too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The obs trucks do that too.
When I was swapping flatbeds, I bought a led tail light set. Well, even key off, they would be dimley lit. Once I added more lights, it went away.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
THAT is some great info right there. Makes me rethink that the pulse isolator for my trailer brake controller isn't what's causing my ABS to not work. Guess I will have to wire in resistors in the f***mess of wiring a PO left for the tail lights after all -Down

It would be nice if that's all that's causing my horn not to work either, but I'm still pulling Bruiser's tilt column for the entries and putting in the new turn signal switch assembly.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've got something else going on in mine. Before the cruise stopped, the off button at the speed. Horn stopped working first.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm over here with no cruise, manual trans, and abs lights been on forever so that's not gonna bother me much lol my truck is quite literally as basic as they came manual everything and now even more manual everything with fuel, high idle/advance, glow plugs all on switches and soon to be all non factory gauges whenever I get to it

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your door open while you check? Or dash lights or done light? I wonder if they just have a cargo light version without the brake light

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meaning like when your looking at it was the door open, that would cause the done light to be on and possibly cargo light