Knocking sound from a 7.3 idi with a turbo

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
I hope the valve guides arent bad! Lol. If the guides are bad should it be huffing white smoke out the exhaust?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No it won't. The cylinder pressure escaping past the guides will keep oil from going down into the cylinder(s). It doesn't take a lot of cylinder pressure either. The oil laying in the heads isn't under pressure.

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
Alright im kind of at a loss, im still not sure as to what the noise is. Sometimes it will go away and then it will come back. Sometimes it sounds really bad and sometimes its quite. I took the valve covers off and everything looked ok. Oil is being pumped up fine and all. I switched the injector out with a new one and it still did it. It seems to be louder though when im up to operating temperature. But what i dont get is it starts great even in cold and it runs fantastic so idk what the problem is. Thanks for all the input so far!

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
Alright i replaaced all my injectors and it is still making the same noise. Its only really bad when i get up to temperature. Its more of like a suction cup kind of noise and im kind of curious if i might have a head gasket thats bad and allowing air to travel between the head and block. Im not losing coolant and there is no coolant in my oil or fuel.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it chuffing? The intake pulses will make a sucking sound with the intake off, that’s normal for these engines. A chuffing sound is a bad valve

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
Back on my video on the first page is what it sounds like. It might be more of a chuffing sound but im not sure