Keyless Remote Start

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a thread on this awhile back, the keyless start is pretty simple but really the only way to do the high idle without redesigning the whole system is by using a universal tractor choke handle with a cable to manually raise the idle after you shut the truck down for the day

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use a power door lock actuator, or a solenoid for a shaved handle system, to engage the throttle under the hood while the starter is cranking. As soon as it starts it releases the solenoid and since the throttle has moved forward the cold start high idle has clicked forward. It runs on high idle until it hits 100 or so and kicks off. I have this setup on mine.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Either one of those should work in theory. And yeah, the remote start is pretty straight forward. Did two installs on gassers so far but not diesels.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one installed in my truck, works just fine though I haven't done the high idle part yet, I was planning on using a door lock actuator on the throttle cable in the cab as the actuators are not really rated for high temperature or weather.

I'm also throwing around the idea of making a small microcontroller to interface with the cruise control and feed it a conditioned tach signal and have a line from the remote start tell it to idle the truck up to say 1k rpm. I'd also add other functions to make it a high idle controller like set the park brake and hit the ON button 3 times then hold down the SET button to the desired RPM or something like that.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one installed in my truck, works just fine though I haven't done the high idle part yet, I was planning on using a door lock actuator on the throttle cable in the cab as the actuators are not really rated for high temperature or weather.

I'm also throwing around the idea of making a small microcontroller to interface with the cruise control and feed it a conditioned tach signal and have a line from the remote start tell it to idle the truck up to say 1k rpm. I'd also add other functions to make it a high idle controller like set the park brake and hit the ON button 3 times then hold down the SET button to the desired RPM or something like that.

I get the feeling you're one of those arduino ninjas lol

Only problem with installing a door actuator at the pedal is all that extra friction from the throttle cable.

The cruise control servo on 1986 trucks is vacuum actuated, so I was thinking to simply plumb in a solenoid vacuum valve direct to the diaphragm to act as the high idle set. This would assume zero vacuum leaks after sitting over night though.