Just in case you guys did not notice....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
...my sig has been updated :sly Got WW a '05 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4x4 :D

got 140k on the clock, seems WELL taken care of, unmolested [no history of tunes or beating the brakes off it] showroom interior and die straight exterior.

3.73 LSD, tow pkg etc....
Down side is...13mpg;Really gonna dig in and check the EGR and variable vanes, do a full service front to rear altho what is in there is looking recent and agrees with the PO's receipts.

SOOOO....how, what and where do I start....is the REV X snake oil? What is the truth regarding the FCIM.......

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SOOOO....how, what and where do I start....is the REV X snake oil? What is the truth regarding the FCIM.......

Congrats on the new rig Geo, I bet you'll like it.;Sweet

Rev X? I wouldn't put any additives in the oil...no different than your 7.3.

FCIM? Do you mean FICM (fuel injector control module which would be comparable to the IDM on your 96) or...HFCM (horizontal fuel conditioning module which would be comparable to laying under your 96 and drilling a hole in your full fuel tank for ***** and giggles) fancy word for frame mounted leak fuel all over ya hard to change fuel filter.

FICM, I just put a new one on my pickup and I'm at about 115k miles right now. -cuss If the voltage begins to run low on the FICM you will start to have hard cold starts, loss of mileage (maybe) and loss of power. I experienced all three for about a year before it finally threw a code although the code cleared itself but eventually the module just **** the bed.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
FCIM? Do you mean FICM (fuel injector control module which would be comparable to the IDM on your 96) or...HFCM (horizontal fuel conditioning module which would be comparable to laying under your 96 and drilling a hole in your full fuel tank for ***** and giggles) fancy word for frame mounted leak fuel all over ya hard to change fuel filter.

Very true.
Congratulations on the new rig, I have a soft spot for older trucks but the newer trucks do look/feel great.

I'm about to install a complete egr delete kit changing everything else that is in the way.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats George..... they are really nice,.... I love mine.... I agree with you, 13 is awfully low.... mine does better than that.....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new rig Geo, I bet you'll like it.;Sweet

Rev X? I wouldn't put any additives in the oil...no different than your 7.3.

FICM, I just put a new one on my pickup and I'm at about 115k miles right now. -cuss If the voltage begins to run low on the FICM you will start to have hard cold starts, loss of mileage (maybe) and loss of power. I experienced all three for about a year before it finally threw a code although the code cleared itself but eventually the module just **** the bed.

Homer,

Can you give more specifics on your symptoms.... I am @ 115 and am having issues.... such as hard starts, a miss.... thought it was bad fuel.... but wonder now if it might not be the FICM.... if it is sitting in the climate controlled garage, with the block heater plugged in, it does not want to start.... it will, but is not happy about it.... and it is down on power, and has a really bad miss.......

Getting ready to take it into the shop for diag (don't have an auto enginuity yet).... but sounds like it could be the FICM.... I read a way to measure the voltage, I may try that....

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott,

I was having some pretty bad cold start issues (wouldn't start unplugged at 30 above) about 3 or 4 years ago when the truck had + or - 75k on the odometer. Took it in for the injector inductive heating reflash of the PCM and that was a big help, I could start the truck at -20 not plugged in.

Fast forward 30k miles and 3 years (fall of 2010) and it started to perform poorly on cold starts again, it was in need of batteries so I put a set in it and while it helped some, you werent going to start the truck below 15 degrees unless it was plugged in.

The spring of 2011 rolled around and the problem went away with the leaving of the cold season but lo and behold as the fall of 2011 rolled in and temps dropped it was a sure no start unless it was plugged in. If I didnt plug it in you can bet it would be extended cranking time to get her to light and then it was just sick trying to warm up, sounded like it was barely firing on 3 cylinders just trying like hell to get the remaining holes to light up. Lots of smoke, no throttle response blah blah blah...

Once she was warmed up and hitting on all 8 it seemed like she just wasnt pulling hard when I had my foot all the way in it my SOTP dyno said she wasnt healthy. Then in November I drove from Wyoming to ND for Thanksgiving and twice on the trip she tossed the CEL, both times I was foot to the floor passing a semi. Oddly enough I had averaged over 17 mpg round trip.

For the next 10 weeks (its been cold, but not super super cold...like -10 to -15 at night) the problem just exacerbated itself to the point it had to go to see the Dr. Diagnosis was low voltage out of the FICM and 3 of 4 injectors not healthy on the right bank. Since it was in the O.R. and had her skirt in the air we put all 4 new injectors in the right bank and the new FICM.

I dont know why the FICM's seem to fail around the 100k mark, but it seems to be, (I'll stop short of saying common) a fairly well known problem.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That all sounds familiar.... if I go start mine... is seems to just wind up to a start, not the boom, comes to life..... kinda like you see on a locomotive startup..... then it doesn't have full power, and will miss on and off running down the road. it will smoke blue really bad at times.... and when it is smoking, it smells like a kerosene heater when you shut it off. That give me an another idea.... but still going to take it in and have it diag'ed.... then I will bring it home an fix it.... Thanks Mike...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That all sounds familiar.... if I go start mine... is seems to just wind up to a start, not the boom, comes to life..... kinda like you see on a locomotive startup..... then it doesn't have full power, and will miss on and off running down the road. it will smoke blue really bad at times.... and when it is smoking, it smells like a kerosene heater when you shut it off. That give me an another idea.... but still going to take it in and have it diag'ed.... then I will bring it home an fix it.... Thanks Mike...

Let us know what you find out...

Sorry for the mega-hijack Geo.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

got 140k on the clock, seems WELL taken care of, unmolested [no history of tunes or beating the brakes off it] showroom interior and die straight exterior.

3.73 LSD, tow pkg etc....
Down side is...13mpg;Really gonna dig in and check the EGR and variable vanes, do a full service front to rear altho what is in there is looking recent and agrees with the PO's receipts.

Was wondering when you were going to break the ice as I wasn't going to spill the beans. It's a very good looking "X";Sweet

Have a 9k lift in the new shop now so if you need to get under it the easy way, gimme a shout.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Was wondering when you were going to break the ice as I wasn't going to spill the beans. It's a very good looking "X";Sweet

Have a 9k lift in the new shop now so if you need to get under it the easy way, gimme a shout.

Hey Mike! how ya been? 9k...this thing weighs 9k :eek:
Thanks for the info and replies guys ;Sweet and don't sweat the hi-jack Homer...wouldn't be OB without one :rotflmao

A pic :D Hell.... Tonka saw it before I did...... Only difference now is the new set of Nitto Terra Grapplers I put on :sly
You must be registered for see images attach

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike! how ya been? 9k...this thing weighs 9k

A pic :D Hell.... Tonka saw it before I did...... Only difference now is the new set of Nitto Terra Grapplers I put on :sly

Doing good George.

Base curb weight for the 2005 "X" 4x4 with the 6.OhNo is 7770 lbs...... With fuel and stuff in it she would be testing the lift and anchor bolts in the concrete but you only need to lift the body off to work on injectors, head gaskets and studs.

God forbid you ever have to dig that deep into her guts, I got yer back.:angel:

Yea I ran across WW on one of my trips into town and she had a big smile on her face when she told me you hadn't seen it yet and was going to be home thursday.

She's got good taste in trucks, that things clean. It's a whole lot nicer than the 1968 and 1970 F100 shortbeds I just bought to restore this week.