Jesus Freak's WMO IP thread

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep for sure. Back to IP’s though, if there tolerances are so sub micron why do we not have finer fuel filters, and why do they last so long with standard filters, there is a lot of old bulldozers tractors etc that have absolutely filthy tanks in them and they run just fine with these for decades, if oil is fuged and filtered too 2 mic, standard fuel filter is 10mic, what in it that gets past those is the culprit. As I would have thought anything getting past a 10 mic will cause similar issues, is it just the nature of the black combustion material and the constant presence of it?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now this is just an educated guess, but I think it's not as much the contamination as it's the fact that WMO is much thicker than diesel fuel is so that makes the pump work harder to push it through.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But cutting to the same or close viscosity would illuminate that would it not, I have no doubt that it must cause some damage yeah but same as Jesusfreak just trying too understand it better, the more ya know the more you can prepare prevent etc etc,

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the soot in the wmo. Sub micron in size and highly acidic and abrasive.

Regular fuel has none, and coming from a refinery(distillation) it's a pretty clean product(compared to wmo). The only contamination would be what's introduced after the process, which would be dirt or other stuff from the environment, which can typically be caught by a filter.

The reason they don't filter smaller then 2 micron is because they can't efficiently do so. The reason the stock filter is 10 is because it's in a single filter system. When a 2 filter system is present they'll use a 10-30 primary with a 2 or so secondary. Most filter companies recommend a 10 as a single filter, because if you used a 2 or so as a single filter, it'd have flow restriction fairly quickly.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Small micron filters also plug easily in cold temps, regardless of fuel heating or additives.

I have found that getting the viscosity cut down, and getting the fuel as clean as you can are both pretty important.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah well it being the soot makes total sense too me, cause it’s still black and too me that’s not clean, and this soot is obviously lighter than oil cause centrifuges do not remove it, and it must be small if 1 micron filters don’t remove it, I can get sub mic filters but I’d hate too see how long it takes to filter and if a single cartridge could do a tank of fuel, there is a lot of black to remove. IP’s and injectors are a part of servicing schedule I guess when WMO is used.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I been busy but I'm back for a minute. I'd really be curious to see some pictures of the WMO damage. What I see in the pump I pulled apart is super hardened steel. And like @Far Right points out and I agree with, there's some ancient equipment out there that sits for years at a time........ and then I show up....... and crank it up....... and use the stew out of it. I had a 1959 caterpillar D6 and it was obviously untouched and the fuel cell was questionable but it ran. But anyway, I'm a mad scientist, so Im doing a "po-boy" rebuild on my sleeved 6.9, I have a brand new DB2(not reman, brand new) and Delphi injectors. And I plan to unashamedly run as much crap through it as possible for as long as possible and then I'll know..... and @Far Right will know..... and all the curious will know and we won't lie awake at night staring at the ceiling asking, "what if?....." Because I will have as unscientificilly as possible answered the question.

Black dawg

Reaction score
So, maybe its just the mood I am in or maybe your posts just come across to me as this. Are you trying to say that WMO does not cause premature wear of fuel injection components? Obviously, everybody will have oils with different levels of contaminants, and also different levels of filtering, but in the end the oil just isnt clean enough to not cause premature wear. I dont have precise enough measuring tools to show the wear, but I have seen several head and rotors worn to the point of hot no-starts......even one brand new one. Anywhere from 25k to 50k miles.

I dont care what anybody else does with their own stuff, I just feel like I need to point out that WMO is not "free". If only used short term with well settled/filtered and with viscosity corrected, probably wont have any issues, but using long term parts wear needs to be factored in.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my centrifuged fuel and 2 micron fuel filter, I haven't experienced any premature noticeable wear. Sure, maybe it does wear components faster than fuel but if that means that I only get 150k out of injectors instead of 155k, I'm OK with that. Same for IP's and other related fuel system parts....I contend that centrifuged WMO at the correct viscosity w/low micron final fuel filter will prevent noticeable wear.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I burned a ton of wmo (50:50 mix) over the years. Two tank system, always started and stopped on reg diesel. Never had any IP problems, not saying wmo doesn't cause IP issues, I just didn't have any. Negative issues were premature failure of the glow plugs and long crank times destroyed starters. Made several attempts at reducing ratio however as long as wmo was in the mix, glow plugs had a shortened service life and starting was difficult. I've completely stopped using wmo, still has same IP and glow plugs and starter issues are gone.
If you were starting/stopping on diesel, I wonder what made starting difficult and gave your glow plugs a hard time? I'm not quite seeing the correlation...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
If you were starting/stopping on diesel, I wonder what made starting difficult and gave your glow plugs a hard time? I'm not quite seeing the correlation...
excess carbon build up on the plugs themselves, can reduce there life. They don't seem to last as long with carbon built up on them. There always will be a bit more carbon when running alternative fuels, so that is the correlation. The life span difference can be mute it some cases, and in other cases more pronounced. Depending on the level of buildup

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, maybe its just the mood I am in or maybe your posts just come across to me as this. Are you trying to say that WMO does not cause premature wear of fuel injection components? Obviously, everybody will have oils with different levels of contaminants, and also different levels of filtering, but in the end the oil just isnt clean enough to not cause premature wear. I dont have precise enough measuring tools to show the wear, but I have seen several head and rotors worn to the point of hot no-starts......even one brand new one. Anywhere from 25k to 50k miles.

I dont care what anybody else does with their own stuff, I just feel like I need to point out that WMO is not "free". If only used short term with well settled/filtered and with viscosity corrected, probably wont have any issues, but using long term parts wear needs to be factored in.
I'm not making any definitive statement, I'm saying that y'all are all over the map! And I just want some hard evidence. A couple guys make like it's the death of the IP and injectors, and then @leswhitt comes along and says......ahhhhhh it's fine, just centerfuge it, filter it, cut and call it good. And then here comes Keith Green (who I agree with) and he says, "keep doing your best, pray that it's blessed, and Jesus'll take care of the rest". I don't have any agenda, but I at least got some questionable pictures of bigfoot that might prove he exist and I can't say that about IPs wore out from WMO.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I wondered this also. I always ran one tank of diesel and the other at 50/50. As long as I ran on diesel for 7 miles before shut off, start up was completely normal. 6 miles wasnt enough.........