1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jayflight Camper

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by laserjock, Sep 28, 2017.

1. laserjock

laserjock Almost there... Supporting Member

So as you rally goers got to see, we also pulled the trigger on a new camper.

IMG_5974.JPG

I spent several months combing the classifieds and Craigslist etc. to find something used that met our basic requirements. Everything I found was 10 years old and people were asking new camper prices so we compromised(very slightly) and picked up this new unit for about the same money and it came with a warranty. It's a 26bhw (I think). It's about 30 feet tip to tail with a bunkhouse. AC shower and bath. All the essentials. No slides (that was the compromise if you want to call it that).

So far we've been on one trip which was the rally so we are still getting used to it. Like anything else I own, I want to give it my own touches here and there so I figure I'll post that up in this thread as I go.

First up. Battery kept draining. I couldn't figure it out. Then the other night I'm standing in the driveway and I here a loud beep. WTF?? Oh!! It comes with a CO and propane leak detector which was slowly draining the battery. Time for a disconnect.

Picked this up from Amazon.

Zoostliss Car Van Truck Boat Battery Power Disconnect Rotary Isolator Kill ON OFF Switch 300A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072291J1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_RwL72RqdwV6m9

Looks like it will fit right in the lid. 1" hole and holes for the nylon bolts and tada.

IMG_5972.JPG

The screws are nylon 6mm for license plates. Drilled the holes out in the switch a bit and ran the 6 mm tap through it. A smear of silicone and...

IMG_5973.JPG

And on the battery box. I actually broke the negative side. Used a solar panel extension cable to connect it.

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    idiTravelAll likes this.
  2. laserjock

Next up. I noticed some of the campers at the rally had the marker lights lit up. Talking to one of the guys they told me that it was something they started years ago for the kids. If they were out running around and needed help, they would know that any of the campers with the marker lights lit were part of the group and would be safe to approach for help. I thought that was brilliant especially having a little one myself. So I thought about it a few minutes and decided how I would do it.

IMG_5977.JPG

I picked up a cheap truck plug from Amazon for like $6. I jumped the aux to the marker lights and put it together.

IMG_5979.JPG

Then you just plug it in. No worrying about jumping the wrong pins. Right every time.

IMG_5978.JPG

And it works!

3. asmith

asmith Full Access Member

Does the trailer just have the one battery? Every trailer me or my dad have owned either came with two or quickly acquired a second one. It really makes a difference for reserve power. Also I am surprised the sensors don't have their own shut off built in. The ones in my trailer do. Either way good job I really like the running light mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. idiTravelAll

idiTravelAll Full Access Member

Nice! My buddy just picked up a Nomad in May, he's currently building a sweet solar setup, I'll snap some pics if anyone's interested.

5. laserjock

It only has one battery for now. For citified camping, you don't need anymore than that. If we decide to go further off the beaten path there are several things I'll change and that will be one of them. But for now, the main function of the battery is for the breakaway and to work the lights and awning in the yard away from power.

6. FORDF250HDXLT

FORDF250HDXLT The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air Supporting Member

"Citified camping" What's that?:D

18.JPG
    The bold coast - Cutler,Maine.

Danielle and nostrokes like this.
  7. laserjock

Loosely defined it’s camping I can convince my wife to partake of.

8. riotwarrior

riotwarrior Supporting Member Supporting Member

Y u mericans keep INSISTING ON calling trailers campers eludes me...they are camping trailers or rv trailers.....a camper slides into box of pickemuptruck...least canadians can figure that much out LOL

It is a very nice unit and I like that light ixea too.

chillman88 likes this.
  9. FORDF250HDXLT

FORDF250HDXLT The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air Supporting Member

Yeah but if you think about it,your also saying this:

You can only "camp" in a slide in camper.If you can also "camp" in a tow behind,then isn't it also a "camper" too? Be it,you tow or haul it,it's still a "camper" no?
    I'm confusing myself now though because,if going by my definition of what a "camper" is,then so would be my tent.:D I think I like the Canadian terms lol.

RV,Recreational Vehicle is used here,solely for units where the "camper" is also the truck in one,such as a motor coach.

10. laserjock

So today I reinforced the master bed in the camper. I actually didn’t take any pictures. I may need to do a little more but it’s a lot stiffer then it was. They designed these for small people clearly. We are not small people. LOL

Probably will end up laminating a sheet of thicker plywood with some liquid nails and screws.

Then I put the longer drop hitch in.

IMG_5988.JPG

Now she sits right I think.

IMG_5989.JPG

Bars are reasonably parallel to the ground. Should tow better.

11. FORDF250HDXLT

Tipped down a touch to set a bit more weight on the truck doesn't hurt though.Sure helps it from wagging the tail.

12. laserjock

So I made my first real mod today. I started winterizing the trailer by pulling the plug on the hot water tank. Plastic plug. Hmm. I can do better than that!

So I grabbed a ball valve and short nipple.

IMG_6024.JPG

Took the handle off and cut it down so it would swing all the way closed.

IMG_6025.JPG

It’s a real tight fit in there. But now I can drain it with a flip of the lever so I don’t have to worry about loosing the plug.

The other thing I think I’m going to do is put a T in the gas line there and run a tap out for my grill. It’s really irritating when you forget your bottles for your table top grill.

13. laserjock

Washing her up for the winter. If i have the energy maybe a quick coat of wax.

IMG_6031.JPG

Danielle likes this.
  14. laserjock

Little soot.

IMG_6032.JPG

LOL

15. laserjock

Spotted in the yard for the winter.

IMG_6067.JPG

Public service announcement. Don’t be stupid and forget to chock the wheels.

IMG_6070.JPG IMG_6071.JPG

Wind storm decided to relocate it a couple feet back. All fixed now. All 4 wheels chocked in both directions.

subway and sjwelds like this.