Its cold, and I got the ROMPS

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been 5 degrees here for the past two days, and when I start her up after 9 hours at work, she romps pretty good...

I have always read about the romps, but never experienced them... Plus, I thought they had that taken care of? Not that it hurts anything... Just smokes like a freight train and goes romp, romp... well you get the idea.......

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the ROMPS when I don't drive my 04 for a few days and it is real cold out. Changing the oil to Rotella 5W-40 synthetic helped. Keith

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the factory oil in there... I thought it was 10w30???? only 700 miles...LOL... I have 5w40 rotella on order...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the romps when I eat too many green apples....... ;p

Max Power

Reaction score
I thought they had this problem solved? So is the weight of the oil the issue? I assume it is due to the HEUI injectors?

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read 13-14 quarts..... I checked the oil, and its full, and its still the factory oil.. 733 miles..>LOL...

It even did it once in my heated garage at 45 defrees, unless that was my imagination.... Its 22 here today, we will see if it does it????

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony,
The engines total capacity is 15 qts. The motor holds about 1.5qts on an oil change. There is an inhouse TSB out on this telling mechanics to fill 13qts, and check the stick, then add to full.. 13.5 to 14

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I totally agree with ISNMU....

I found many oil changes ago that 15qts was overfilling... I now stop at 13 and check the the level every 1/2 qrt...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The HPOP holds about 1.5 qts IIRC. If you drain the HPOP when you do your oil change THEN you need 15 qts. As you know, too full will not only get you the romps, but on a hot day with hard pulling itwill get you foam as well.