1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any benefit?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Selahdoor, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

To removing the soup bowl from the air cleaner?

I've heard all it does is make it noisier.

2. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

It might if you upgraded the exhaust and turned up the pump a smidge. I doubt it does anything on a stock IDI. I cut it out on mine, didn't notice any difference.

If you decide to try it, be careful. It's easy to put a hole in the air cleaner lid accidentally... Or... So I would assume... I wouldn't do such a foolish thing.... More than once LOL

riphip and Selahdoor like this.
  3. Selahdoor

LOL

4. Enginerd

Enginerd Registered User

I'm gonna watch this thread because I've come so close several times to trying it out...

Selahdoor likes this.
  5. firehonomichl

firehonomichl Full Access Member

I did it to mine and ya I didn’t notice any difference.

Selahdoor likes this.
  6. Clb

Clb Another old truck Supporting Member

Yet another tech 101 fail...
    fwiw
    On the 93, I put both the early and late grill snorkle on it .
    The ats restriction gauge registered a favorable drop in restriction.
    Ymmv.
    Na or turbo, restriction is restriction in or out.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Selahdoor likes this.
  7. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I agree with chillman88. If you can get better exhaust flow, than this should, in theory, give you better intake flow. I've done this on my truck. Did it make any difference? I have no idea. I drove it around quite a while with a less than good pump and injectors, so it wasn't running at it's best. There's two ways to do this. The safe way is to cut the soup bowl right above (lid upside down) the flange where it mounts to the air cleaner itself. The biggest down side to this method is that it can put metal shavings inside the oily area with lots of places for it to hide on the under side of the air cleaner lid. If you do this, clean the lid the best that you can. Use solvent, gasoline, diesel fuel, etc and try to get it surgical clean, then pray hat you got all of the shavings. The other way is to grind almost through the spot welds in the mounting flange where it's attached to the air cleaner lid. Then, holding the lid tightly, hit the soup bowl on something hard like the edge of a work bench to break it loose from what remains of the spot welds. This is the "clean" method since there should be minimal, if any metal shavings get into the oily area covered by the soup bowl. This is also the more risky method. If you're not careful, you'll cut through the air cleaner lid. If you don't grind the spot welds deep enough, you can pull the whole weld off of the lid, leaving a hole in the lid. If, for whatever reason, you do happen to put a hole in your air cleaner lid, I would recommend brazing it shut. If you do braze it, do it on top of the lid. That way if it should happen to break off, none of it will fall into your intake. Just my .02. Use it how you wish.:)

Selahdoor likes this.
  8. Macrobb

Macrobb Full Access Member

Honestly, I think it'll have a slight negative effect, especially if you have the "early" snorkle - I've actually noticed a difference with that installed(on a turbo truck, but the same idea applies). The 'late'(hood-top) snorkle... I didn't notice /any/ difference, installed or removed.

Selahdoor and Jason1377 like this.
  9. hesutton

hesutton The Anti-Anderson Supporting Member

Years ago, Banks offered a "stinger" kit (if I remember the name correctly). It was for NA IDI's. It included an exhaust kit from the manifolds back, air box lid without a soup bowl, different air filter (K&N I think), and a pyrometer. Instructions also recommended turning up the IP one flat. My '86 crew cab had that installed when I bought it in '09.

I say all that to say, I'd agree with the above posts. I'd doubt there is a huge improvement with just the soup bowl mod alone, but it made enough of a difference (with the other changes in the kit) for Banks to include it in this NA IDI performance package.

Like others have said - soup bowl with exhaust and a bit more fuel would help some.

Heath

Selahdoor, SlippyRider and Jimbanjer like this.
  10. Selahdoor

I'm looking for better fuel economy. That's all. Not interested in being the first one up the hill.

:D

11. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

If your intake and exhaust are more free flowing and you drive the truck the same as you did before, you should see a small improvement in mileage. Don't expect huge gains.

Selahdoor and Cubey like this.
  12. Garbage_Mechan

Garbage_Mechan Garbage Mechanic

One thing for sure it does increase noise. The soup bowl is there to dampen intake pulses (noise). As to performance/ mileage increases.... not a lot especially on a truck that is being driven conservatively to maximize mileage.

Jason1377 and Selahdoor like this.
  13. chris142

chris142 Full Access Member

What years had this? Mine never did.

14. mexicanjoe

mexicanjoe Full Access Member

My question: with the soup bowl removed, will a flow through muffler ( glasspack) actually help the economy? Asking for a friend:)

15. nelstomlinson

nelstomlinson Full Access Member

Pretty sure the Banks Power Pack air cleaner I have has a big soup bowl in it. The Banks stuff is supposed to make your truck cooler, and maybe more powerful, so there must be some good to the soup bowl thingy.