Is mineral oil good for fuel?

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like if the cetane rating is high that it would be good to mix with wmo so it will burn better. I add cetane additive to every drum of wmo mix I do.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something like that. I'm guessing that I can add about 25% to wmo which should cut my smoke at idle considerably. The wmo would also be thinner which would mean a better and more complete burn. No need to mix gas or diesel so my out of pocket expense is $0

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The professor reached out to me this week. He wants to get axx to this for personal use. I had left him a sample and he got around to testing it. I think he's holding back a little regarding the results because he showed up at my work. He did mention that it's distillable for purity, but we don't really need that in our idi engines.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I just got a good source for waste mineral oil. I think it's used either as a cleaning agent or as cooling for machinery. Later today I get to pick up 10 gallons to see if I can make use of it. If so, then I'll be getting a 55 gallon barrel every few months. I know it's a petroleum derivative from crude but is it good enough to burn? I did some searching and found answers like, doen't burn, burns too slow, like adding water, etc.

What kind of a business did it come from? I'd like to try and find some locally.:sly

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here is the skinny on this stuff after 14 or 15 months of use. I've been using it in place of diesel. I start on it and do my local driving on the stuff. Some of what I get has ink and some is clear. I let the inky stuff settle for a while then siphon off the top. The inky stuff smells a little but not severe. The clear smells like diesel without the perfume. Both truck and mercedes run great on the stuff but mercedes is a little noisier at idle. Probably would settle down a bit if injection timing was adjusted to compensate for burn rate. The density of this stuff is about 0.71 and diesel is about 0.77 to 0.80. EGTs are great except when going up a hill while pulling a load. In those conditions EGTs ran a bit higher so I let up on the pedal where I could. This stuff lacks lubricity though. I ran it in the mercedes for about 2 months and almost 200 gallons without any ill effects to the car. The truck however, needs an injection pump. I've determined my injection pump has the worn rotor head issue. In the chemical's defense, I have also run high concentrations of wmo through the truck for almost 3 years. Supplementing this stuff with b100 would probably take care of lubricity issues.

Summary, I really like this stuff and will continue to use it. Problem is the line of equipment that this stuff comes from is not common in it's industry. Also, later generations of the equipment have a recycling unit built in so output has been cut down to a little less than 50%.
Still, some stuff I get for free, can use in a solvent tank then for fuel is just what I like. Unfortunately there isn't alot of this to go around.
Oh, I use 15 gallon plastic barrels with bungs for collecting this stuff. The white rubber gasket the bungs use get soft and swell up but return to normal shape after you remove them.

Fordbinder

Reaction score
I have access to about 125 gallon of used cooking oil. My question is if filtered properly can I burn it in my I.D.I. and at what mix levels?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, first off used cooking oil (wvo) isn't a mineral oil. Wvo is a plant and/or animal fat product that does not contain petroleum based oil products. As to your question I'm guessing you're meaning to use the wvo in an unmodified fuel system. Since we are now coming up on winter outside temps will play a bigger part on your ability to mix wvo in your truck. In the summer time I'd say 20-25% and less than 10% in winter. I would have the wvo sit for a few months to allow the thicker part of the wvo settle to the bottom and only use the thin oil from the top. I would not recommend wvo usage of you have burned waste motor oil (wmo) in your truck recently. byproducts from both react to create a sludge that I've seen stick to the inside of the tank and plug up the pick up screen.