Is mineral oil good for fuel?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I just got a good source for waste mineral oil. I think it's used either as a cleaning agent or as cooling for machinery. Later today I get to pick up 10 gallons to see if I can make use of it. If so, then I'll be getting a 55 gallon barrel every few months. I know it's a petroleum derivative from crude but is it good enough to burn? I did some searching and found answers like, doen't burn, burns too slow, like adding water, etc.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the msds on what I got. http://www.ehso.com/msdssites.php?U...itizenship/environment/productdata/index.html
It's clear and thin like water and passed the pour on the ground and light with a torch test. From what the msds says it's primarily decane and I found a chart listing the cetane rating at 77 and also showed diesel at 57. It's now my plan to mix it in 3 jars. 1. diesel, 2. wmo, 3. rug . I'd mix with water but I need to find an oil dye first.
So far I'm thinking it may be a good wmo thinner.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only managed to find 1 glass jar so far. I mixed the chemical yesterday with wmo. It mixed easily and hasn't shown any separation yet.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it should mix fine, from what I've just looked up it looks like it should run o it too

Last edited:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devilish,
Keep us posted on this stuff sounds like good source of fuel. I'd interested in how it reacts in cold temps, if you do a freezer test that would be cool.:thumbsup:, pardon any puns?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put both the pure chemical jar and the wmo mixed jar in the freezer for 45 minutes. The chemical was fine with a water-like viscosity. The wmo mix was still fluid but the oil coated the glass for a little while 5 seconds I'd guess till clear enough to see. http://www.csgnetwork.com/specific_gravity_viscosity_liquids.html <-- This is a nice chart. It shows how thin decane is and also how light compared to water( 0.73 - 1.0)
http://www.ausetute.com.au/usehydrc.html This chart basically shows that fuels are produced with chemicals that have carbon chains between 6 and 16. This chemical is C13H28 which puts it right there in a sweet spot.
Interesting enough, I found a forumula for kerosene: 78% n-decane, 9.8% cyclohexane and 12.2% toluene.
I just added some diesel to my tank so tomorrow I'm gonna take a run up a hill then add about 10% to my tank. Then run the hill again. I may do this a few times while monitoring my egt guage. I already had a college student claim that I could run it straight, in place of diesel. Because of the extra carbons in the chain the question that is unanswered is the actual cetane rating of this chemical.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran some in my diesel tank today. Temp outside was 90 degrees. I ran up a hill that has about a 5% grade to get the egt up.
1st run on straight diesel. Discovered a bad connection with my egt guage but by holding the guage with 1 hand it works. Exhaust temp got up to about 900 with the pedal floored.
2nd run I added a liter to my tank. Guestimating concentration in tank of 10-12%. EGT rose to about 950 truck ran nice exhaust smelled clean. May have smoked a little less on load.
3rd run another liter in tank. Guestimate 25-30% concentration. Egt got to 1000. No real smoke change
4th run wmo 10% rug. EGT 850. Much more smoke when accellerating dropped off at freeway speed

Truck used 1991 f250 supercab e40d 285/75/16 3.55 ats 093
Weight empty is about 6800 but total weight at time of test was approx 83-8500
Overdrive switch was disenguaged at the switch

Summary: Truck idled and ran nice on the diesel mix after my testing. Was a little concerned about the rise in egt. Could too high a cetane rating cause the rise? I plan to run the tests again after I fix my egt guage and burn out what is in the tank.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got a reply to an email I sent to a professor that works with biofuels. I get to set up an appointment next week to have a face to face. He also called what I have Tridecane. Looking it up on the link below tridecane it give cetane ratings of 88 or 91 depending on calculation formula.
http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/sr368051.pdf
Looks like I could be right about my rise in egt. My mixture could have had a higher cetane rating than 55. In my research I found info that said diesel fuels have a min cetane of 40, max or 46, and an average or 42. A cetane rating higher than 55 is of no benefit to us in our trucks. Higher than that only benefits higher rpm engines.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I found with my testing (all WMO) that it runs fine for a tank or maybe even two, than I start to have issues if the oil is not clean enough, or if it is too thick. I would say pick the blend you liked most, mix up 3 or 4 tanks of it and see what happens!

Also, are you cleaning the oil? I have lots laying around at work that I would like to burn, but DAMN is it NASTY! My new centrifuge should clean it up NICE!

PZ

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I let my oil settle then use air pressure to push through a 6 micron fuel filter. My finished reserve is stored in vegetable grease cubees and I NEVER completely empty the cubee into the tank.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should post a disclaimer in this thread too. I take no responsibility for what others do with their fuels.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h2odrx If you read the msds from an above post You should have a pretty good idea what it is all about. No metals in it. The chemical comes out of the machine clear and clean. It's mixed with another chemical which gets used up. Nobody will use the waste product again since the quality of the process could suffer. I'm just happy to get it. If it seems like I'm being a little vague it's because anyone can pull this thread with google. I came to the conclusion that things could go sideways if you get what I mean

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my meeting. Basically I was told how all the good crude is gone now so other ways are found to refine fuels from lesser quality stock. The only concern with this version of tridecane is the boiling point is a little lower. The hydrocarbon ratio of the chemical is good for fuel use. The gentleman I talked to said it reminded him of the synthetic diesel that's being produced. He also said that he would use it in his fuel tank. Looks like this is a great find though a little more research on mixture percentages need to be done. I plan to also use this with wmo during winter time in my mercedes.