Is it possible to warm up ac?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
if you've been following my progress you would see I had the ford Black Death happen when my compressor blew up. I installed a new compressor, flushed the system and installed a new orifice tube (blue) and accumulator/drier.
Being a 92 I had r12, instead I used 9 oz of water oil and mixed my own 70/30 blend of propane/ isobutane. My question is because on the freeway or when running I have to keep the fan speed on maximum to keep the condenser clear of freeze. I've never had it happen yet but I assume at my vent temps it's very possible.
Is there any way to theoretically raise the output temp to30 degree range? System isn't under or overfilled it's just working really good. My suction line actually keeps the compressor cold! This pic is with 82 degree ambient temp going 65, at idle it'll raise to about 18-20 degrees

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These pics show even how cold the accumulator/ suction line get all the way to compressor. I've triple checked my pressures and everything is spot on. I know due to research the propane isobutane mix works much cooler. I don't mind it but the wife is always cold and I'd like to be able to at least use the low fan speed!

Black dawg

Reaction score
running fan on lower settings should cause more compressor clutch cycling...what is the low side switch set to
heater core hooked up would help also..

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start by hooking up that heater core. If you still have problems, it's probably because these a/c systems were never designed to run propane in them. I bet your compressor will eventually go out running that stuff in the lines too.
Converting to R-134a will ensure a long lasting a/c system without the problems you are having. Really not that hard to do either.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about ac but isn't there a thermostat you can adjust that switches at what temperature the compressor kicks on and off?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Since you are in uncharted territory you are prolly gonna just have to experiment with it more. In your shoes if I HAD to stay LP, Id see if I had any room on the high side pressure measurement to allow me to add more. The freezing is being caused because for your "refrigerant" the low side pressure is too low, giving you too much cooling when you go from liquid to gas through the orifice tube.

If adding more isn't an option because you are already at the limits, I'd look at taking some out, and adding more oil to reduce the effects.

But again this is totally YOYO ( You're On Your Own ) with the retrofit that you have put together.

On edit, why not just go R134A?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are in uncharted territory you are prolly gonna just have to experiment with it more. In your shoes if I HAD to stay LP, Id see if I had any room on the high side pressure measurement to allow me to add more. The freezing is being caused because for your "refrigerant" the low side pressure is too low, giving you too much cooling when you go from liquid to gas through the orifice tube.

If adding more isn't an option because you are already at the limits, I'd look at taking some out, and adding more oil to reduce the effects.

But again this is totally YOYO ( You're On Your Own ) with the retrofit that you have put together.

On edit, why not just go R134A?

I thought of that but unfortunately propane runs in it higher hi side pressure and I just done feel safe running lp above 250psi. Only reason no r134 is I read a lot of mediocre performance reports going from r12 to it. Last week when it was 115+ my air was still in the low 30's. I may just leave well enough alone and just turn it off if the wife gets too cold. It does feel good!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Yeah that's some serious cooling for sure! You can keep a side of beef hung up in there if you wanted LOL. If you do end up going to r134a at some point in the future because you are tired of defrosting the wife, I can say that my 88 r12 system converted nicely, seems to work great.
But hey, that's some serious cold bragging rights you got there. Too bad we dont have A/C temp event days like we do dyno event days, you'd win hands down! LOL

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the system is low on freon just a little bit the condenser will tend to freeze over, I've worked on house hold hearing and ac, r12 and 134 general rule would be if it's icing over it's just a slight bit low in charge I'm not sure the mix you used works though.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about ac but isn't there a thermostat you can adjust that switches at what temperature the compressor kicks on and off?
Yes/no.
It doesn't turn the compressor on/off per say, but does actuate the blend door. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just install a thermostat!

I'd probably just pick up one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Freezer-30-...760379&hash=item2820e5d3f6:g:4lAAAOSwmLlX44Ko
$3, though two weeks out from China. Strap the probe-end to the pipe just after the expansion valve, where it is coldest.
Hook the NC terminals in series with the low-pressure switch, so it will shut off the compressor once it gets too cold.

Adjust the thermostat to taste, tape it up and call it good!

I used 32F on mine and it worked wonderfully. Kept it from freezing up, which was what I cared about.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just install a thermostat!

I'd probably just pick up one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Freezer-30-...760379&hash=item2820e5d3f6:g:4lAAAOSwmLlX44Ko
$3, though two weeks out from China. Strap the probe-end to the pipe just after the expansion valve, where it is coldest.
Hook the NC terminals in series with the low-pressure switch, so it will shut off the compressor once it gets too cold.

Adjust the thermostat to taste, tape it up and call it good!

I used 32F on mine and it worked wonderfully. Kept it from freezing up, which was what I cared about.

Awesome never seen that before! If I start having freeze up issues that looks easy enough. Unfortunately my wife is always cold and I'm always hot so I love the almost 0 degree air!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might try adjusting your pressure switch but I think Rob pretty much summed it up. I had mid 40's on my vents with the compressor jumped. It runs upper 40's low 50's most of the time with the 134. It might be a bigger hassle than it's worth but wouldn't a smaller orifice tube help you out? Your compressor should cycle with the pressure switch but it should slow down the vaporization of the gas I think and hence raise your temps.

Just some thoughts.