Is a 6.5 diesel good for a young driver?

threegenpowerstroke98

Reaction score
As somebody who was in your shoes four months ago (received my intermediary licence august eleventh) I went with a 7.3 psd, but I had spent a year and a half saving and looking. The 7.3's are great engines, but like anything else, has it's downfalls, however we've done high miles with ours. Dad had a '95 1500 350 that he bought for his vet truck. After 75k it popped, he traded it on a '97 f250 7.3 xlt bare bones standard and rolled it up to 717,000 kilometres (448125 miles) before hail damage and a done fuel pump sent it to a wreckers. I think this truck got injectors once, clutch once, a couple alternators (refrigerated vet box didn't help with this), and still got 23 mpg daily driven. I worked for a heavy duty diesel mechanic who hated the 6.5s. He said they never ran right and it sounded like tuning to me, but he got his point pretty clear, don't buy one. However he loved the 12 valves and the 7.3's (he had owned both). I love my '01, I drive it like a teen and it still rewards me with decent mileage. I got it chipped with a php hydra and it goes like the dickens, will light the tires too. 12 valves can be had cheap but expect higher miles, but treated right they'll love you well and can make cheap horsepower by replacing fuel pins and a quarter turn on the fuel screw, but don't forget about your transmission. If you want a decent diesel you're gonna have to save, that's what I did and I was rewarded with an awesome truck. If you wanna play the diesel game, expect high costs, if you can't deal with that then get a gasser.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Yup. At least everywhere I've looked, Dodges are always at least twice the asking price compared to a Ford.

There's always a way around that around here, it's easy to find a late 90's dodge in good shape with a cummins under $1500, always has the same line in the ad though: "Needs an injector pump" :rotflmao.

To the OP: I am a Ford guy, period. That said, I have a healthy respect for a 6.2 in a half-ton Suburban. I've used and abused them (I like to put an 8' straight plow on them), and for what they are, I'd say one of them is a good choice, but I'm not a fan of the 6.5's, every one I've used has grenaded in less that 3 months.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The 6.5 actually has a stronger block.
Even here if it needs a ip, they still want at least $5k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow Okie..

First, if someone has never owned a 6.5 .. Don't bother listening to them.
Second, I have owned 3 of them. never busted a crank, Only issue I ever had was the PMD died due to heat. I relocated it and its been a great truck.

I have owned 3 of them. Good maintenance and they will live a good long life. treat and like garbage and they will run like garbage. Pretty much any motor does.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow Okie..

First, if someone has never owned a 6.5 .. Don't bother listening to them.
Second, I have owned 3 of them. never busted a crank, Only issue I ever had was the PMD died due to heat. I relocated it and its been a great truck.

I have owned 3 of them. Good maintenance and they will live a good long life. treat and like garbage and they will run like garbage. Pretty much any motor does.

Ok. I may look for a 6.5, or a k20 with a 6.2, or even an m1008 if I can find one. The only problem with the m1008 is it has no ac, and summers can get pretty hot.