Into the deep end...

Desertfireguy

Reaction score
So after much searching for a donor trans, I've decided to try to rebuild the ZF6 myself. About $250 in parts and a couple of additional tools I didn't own. Parts should be in this week, and as soon as my concrete isn't a block of ice, I'll get under and take pictures of the process. Mainly doing this because it doesn't seem like anyone has, and if they have, they didn't document it. Say a prayer and add a couple of dollars to the swear jar on my behalf!

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I've decided to try to rebuild the ZF6 myself.
Say a prayer and add a couple of dollars to the swear jar on my behalf!

ZF 6 or 5? What year? (in your sig it shows a '92)
You may already have some good info on rebguilding, but I got some links saved somewhere on some ZF rebuilds, but cant find them right now. I think there are some really good rebuild info here on OB as well as FTE sites.
& I got a swear jar already for myself.....I usually add about $5-$10 a day to it, at a quarter/swear when I'm working on my stuff!

Desertfireguy

Reaction score
Haven't updated my signature line, but my 92 NA was lonely, so I bought her this 2000 PSD to play with. It's the ZF6. Got everything apart easy enough. Just waiting on a couple of tools to tear into the transmission.

Desertfireguy

Reaction score
Well, good news is, I got it rebuilt. Bad news is, my swear jar is full and I didn't take any pictures. Once I figured out how everything worked, it really wasn't bad. They really only go back together one way. New clutch is great and trans is nice and tight with the shifts sans grinding. It does have a little chatter at idle which I'm guessing is my throwout bearing. Goes away with a 100rpm increase.