International 4400 6+ clutch slipping?

Dustin Powers

Reaction score
When downshifting my international 6+ and using the clutch I get a violent skipping or slipping vibration when letting out the clutch. If I match the engine rpms and dont use the clutch, it doesn't do it. Is my clutch bad?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When downshifting my international 6+ and using the clutch I get a violent skipping or slipping vibration when letting out the clutch. If I match the engine rpms and dont use the clutch, it doesn't do it. Is my clutch bad?

Most likely not the clutch, but the flywheel and pressure plate surface. Regardless, grind the flywheel, and then change the clutch and pressure plate. While you're in there, check throwout bearings, pilot bushings, and clutch brakes to make sure those all look good.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd have to know the exact model to be sure. But all of the spicer 6+1's that I've looked at were synchronized in 2-7 gears.

They say you should use the clutch every shift in a synchronized trans, but if you're good at floating them, then there shouldn't be any damage done by not using the clutch. The problem is that very few people are good and smooth at float shifting, and just grind and hammer it until it works.

Dustin Powers

Reaction score
You'd have to know the exact model to be sure. But all of the spicer 6+1's that I've looked at were synchronized in 2-7 gears.

They say you should use the clutch every shift in a synchronized trans, but if you're good at floating them, then there shouldn't be any damage done by not using the clutch. The problem is that very few people are good and smooth at float shifting, and just grind and hammer it until it works.

Thanks man. Id say I'm really good at it so ill go with that until I can get that clutch and flywheel out :)