Intermittent high pressure oil trouble.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will probably get long, but I want to cover everything. I think I'm missing a crush washer and pushing combustion gasses into the high pressure oil system...

I had a bad high pressure o-ring and I was pushing oil into the fuel, so I swapped and resealed my injectors about 200 miles ago (I have 2 sets of injectors). It's an old truck and a work truck, so it develops oil leaks and fuel leaks here and there. I'm used to adding oil until I get around to fixing a leak. About a week ago, I drove it about 100 miles further than I'm used to. I didn't check the oil before I headed home and I ran low on the interstate and the truck shut down. I've had it happen before, but never on the interstate. I knew what I had to do and I knew it was going to suck. I added a couple gallons of oil and started cranking. I went all the way through the batteries, two jump packs, a jump start from the wife's car, and still nothing on the high pressure oil side. I let AAA tow it home and put it on the battery charger.

After a couple of days of cranking it intermittently, I finally got my neighbor to drag me (it's a 5 speed). I saw pressure on the high side almost immediately, but it still wasn't starting. After about 3 miles, it jumped to life at 2,000 rpm, but would die at any rpm below that (high pressure oil would drop below 500 psi). After a few more miles, it ran above 1,500. We drug it some more, and once it would run above 1,000 rpm, I let my neighbor go and just drove around on my own. After about 15 miles, I could get it to idle if I let it down easy. So I decided to drive it into town to get the rest of the air out of the system.

I drove it about 30-40 miles and it never did get completely right. I'd have to coast to the lights from a ways out because I never knew if it was going to die or not. If it died out, the starter wasn't going to get it going again. Pop the clutch, and it would start instantly (rpms above 1,000). If it was idling when I shut it down, it would start like there was no problem. Just to rule out the hp pump, I put it to the floor for a while and pressure never dropped below 2700.

I've had a crush washer drop off the end of an injector once before during a swap. That time, once the fuel o-ring wore out, fuel dumped down into the cylinder and it looked like I was fogging for mosquitos. This time, I do get some smoke while it's cold, but nothing like the mosquito fogger.

So, before I spend all day swapping injectors again, and find all the crush washers in place, is it possible that I'm missing a crush washer, I'm pushing combustion gasses past both o-rings and into the high pressure oil, and I'm just not getting a lot of leak down the other way? (I'd think the gasses would dissipate into the fuel rales.) Or do I now have a flaky hpop and I'm just getting the smoke from poorly firing injectors? Or maybe the IPR got some junk in it when the high pressure system ran out and now it's getting sticky? Any other ideas?

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Base fuel pressure?
Base oil pressure?
Use a mechanical gauge to verify.

ICP voltage KOEO?
ICP pressure while cranking?
IPR duty cycle? Have you inspected your IPR?

Do you have a scan tool? If so, check the above and report back.

If you don't then unplug and inspect the pigtails at the ICP and IPR. Then try leaving the ICP unplugged and attempt to start the truck. If the truck starts easier, then you probably have a bad ICP or wiring issue with it.

An air test would be beneficial if you've done the above items and still havent found answer.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've has a fuel pressure gauge for years and everything is normal with that. It's a mechanical pump, so fuel pressure bounces between 40 and 60. Whatever the problem is, it is something that happens pretty quickly, it's on the high pressure oil side, and it can be VERY short lived. If I'm coasting, and I take my foot off the pedal, I can see the high side pressure drop into the 400's and I know it is going to die. Pop the clutch and let off 2 seconds later, and it will idle normally. If I'm cranking and it's not going to start, high side pressure may be in the 100's. If I get the motor spinning fast enough, high side pressure pops right up and it starts within 100 feet. If it was idling normally when I shut it down, It will start within a second or so - hot or cold.

I haven't checked ICP voltage yet, but the values it's reporting all match what the truck is doing EXACTLY. I also haven't checked the IPR yet. It was in the back of my mind and, as much of a pain in the ass as it is to get to, it's going to be easier than pulling the injectors again. It also couldn't hurt to have a clean IPR again.

What is the air test? Do you pull one of the oil plugs and shoot air in there? Are you listening for a leak? Whatever this is, it comes and goes within seconds while the engine is running, but sticks around for ever if that is what caused the engine to shut down.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You are correct on the air test. It's for the high pressure oil side. You can make a fitting to go into one of the rail plugs.
Ipr does sound like a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anybody finding this on a search... it was the IPR. It's a mechanical fuel pump truck, so there was a bit of crap to pull off to get the IPR out. I couldn't believe the crap I got out of it - both metal shavings and sludge. The parts that were supposed to come out by tapping required plyers. Starts up and runs now just like it's supposed to - except for the huge oil leak, but that's a subject for another thread.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I for one, appreciate that you came back and posted the resolution. All too often threads fade away with an answer. Glad you got that sorted. Now let’s sort out your oil leak in your other thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online