intermittent driveline growl/vibration

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have a 1997 F350 4x4 crewcab and intermittent growl comes in at wierd times. hit a bump and it starts and can disappear on the next bump. I cleaned and repacked front wheel bearings but did not mess with the torringtons or the Ujoints when I had it apart. mainly because I don't plan on using the 4wd until the winter but am takign the truck on a trip this summer and want to sort this out. I pulled the guts out of the LF hub and I thought that cleared it up but the next day it started again. when i pull over everythign is free spinning and can turn the outer yoke by hand. but when the noise starts it does sound like a dry torrington inside the spindle but I'm not even in 4wd. Saturday I'm goign to take the guts out of the r locking hub and see if i can make it go away. definitely feels like the L front where its coming from. I had a 1996 F250 4wd when it was new and it had the posi front/rear and I had problems with the auto hubs engaging on their own . wondering if this might be my issue?

input/opinions welcome. i need this sorted out by end of june.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I actually pulled out the guts in the R hub late last night and drove it the 90km back to my place from dad's farm and it seems to have cleared up. so yes a combination of a worn out lcokign hub and soem rough torrington bearings and or outer axle shafts. I will now put some nice non aggressive front tires on it and see if that cuts some more noise, was playing with tire location on it too, hoping to nail down the noise. the big agressive goodyear wranglers sing quite a bit on the highway too. maybe my fuel economy will improve a bit too now. might even buy a pair of new 8ply all seasons for the front to soften the harshness out even. this is the first OBS F350 4x4 I've owned and man is it stiff.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online