Intermittent cruise control

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Greetings, all:

I was chasing an oil leak, and decided to clean the engine compartment with a LOT of Purple Power and water. Ever since, my cruise control has only operated when it feels like it, and not very often at that!

Since this system is controlled via engine computer (not mechanically via vacuum) I suspect that I may have partially dislodged or contaminated an electrical connector under there. I have the set of factory service manuals for the truck, but the diagnostics section on the cruise control refers to the diesel emissions control manual, which I DON'T have. Just my luck...

Anybody have a clue where I should begin my inspections? There's a metric crapload of electrical connectors under the hood.

Vehicle is a 2002 F250, 7.3 Powerstroke, ZF 6-speed gearbox.

Many thanks in advance!
Dave

Edit: Oh, yeah...I found the oil leak. HPOP fittings. Parts ordered...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I doubt it's related to cleaning.
Have you ever heard about the cruise control recall?
There's a cruise control cutout switch on the brake master cylinder. Some trucks have burnt down because of it. You should check with a dealership to see if the recall has been done on yours.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
I can't find anything on it...but it's been 18 years. Haven't had problems until now.

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I checked this years ago and it told me my vin doesn't have any recalls. Even though it definitely has this problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
But if the repair was done, it wont show as open.
Also, any chance your truck didn't come with cruise?
A easy test for the switch is to jump the plug.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Thanks for the link...returned "No recall or service action performed", so it either didn't fit the bill or had the work done at some point.

It's an old ******, been going 18 years and 247,000 miles. I'm the second owner, and I've been driving it for 3-1/2 years, the first owner was a diesel mechanic and was a stickler for maintenance. I've tried to continue that trend, all service done on schedule, any repairs made as they arise.

This truck is a daily driver and a complete workhorse! I'm trying to make it last a lifetime, considering that I practically stole it ($6800) and only had to drive 4 hours to Phoenix to pick it up!

I'll continue my search for the solution to this little issue. I might just start unplugging and cleaning every connector I can find. I had a similar situation last year...after washing the engine compartment the AC stopped working! Tracked that down to a contaminated pressure cutout switch. Cleaned it up, and it's been OK ever since.

Thanks again for the info!

Dave

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that many miles I'd start with checking the clock spring and steering wheel buttons. Someone on here recently had a similar problem where the buttons turned out to be the issue. Otherwise as you said the cruise on these trucks is all electronic in the PCM. Sensor inputs are basically the same as the old ones though; the buttons, speed signal, clutch switch, brake switch, ABS signals maybe?

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the easy stuff. Brake pedal switch, clutch switch and the one that got me, the ebrake switch. Stick a toe under the ebrake pedal and make sure it's all the way up next time cruise doesn't go.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
With that many miles I'd start with checking the clock spring and steering wheel buttons. Someone on here recently had a similar problem where the buttons turned out to be the issue. Otherwise as you said the cruise on these trucks is all electronic in the PCM. Sensor inputs are basically the same as the old ones though; the buttons, speed signal, clutch switch, brake switch, ABS signals maybe?

Clockspring, control buttons on the wheel, and airbag/horn module were all replaced 2 years ago, as well as the horn (it shorted out and caused the problem to begin with, and the new one kept blowing fuses...turns out the horn contacts in the airbag module were sticking. They're on the same fuse!!!).

I've been busy as hell, and haven't gotten any farther with it at this point, but I did replace the clutch hydraulics a few months ago. Everything worked, though, until I washed out the underhood area. Could be coincidence...we shall persevere, time allowing!

Thanks...
Dave

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive. Probably can't do that every time there's an ask but I was curious how I would go about getting everything extracted and pkgd up and yours was a good excuse to try. It took over 2hrs to extract and combine that PCED from the E-manual I've got. Very clunky old interface and it doesn't seem that Ford wanted techs to be able to print large sections of the manual from it at a time. Anyway what's done is done and now everyone can share the knowledge, I hope it gets you what you were looking for.

Attachments

• 2002 PCED OBDII-Diesel.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 2002 310-03 Cruise Diagnositics.pdf
    385.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2002 310-03 Cruise Diesel Wiring.pdf
    60.3 KB · Views: 5

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Hot damn, man...you're amazing! I'll have a closer look at this stuff soon. I got the HPOP leaks settled this morning before it got hot (112* right now in sunny AZ desert!). IF they made that stuff so you could get to it with normal sized hands or basic tools, it would have taken less than the 3 hours I spent. Of course, I'm not a mechanic by any means!

Please accept my everlasting thanks for the info! And if anyone else has the problem, I'd be honored to pass it along. The people on this site are amazing at solving problems, and I'd certainly be happy to contribute what I can.

Cheers...
Dave

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
I FOUND THAT LITTLE CRITTER! Switch on the clutch pedal pushrod. It works in the 'disengage to start' routine, but it's apparently not making (or breaking) contact when the clutch pedal is fully released. I've had it out twice to replace the hydraulics, so a good visual inspection, cleaning, and/or replacement will be in order...when I get a cool weekend morning, that is. For now, I can live with it.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Cheers
Dave

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
You can jumper the 2 wires closest to the firewall.

Yeah, I could go around it, but I really don't want to disable things! I'm trying to keep this truck as close to stock/original as possible, both cosmetically and mechanically. I'll fix the issue, for sure, but it's not a REALLY pressing issue! I only drive 10 miles to work (one way) every day, in a 45 MPH zone. Longer, highway trips are fairly far and few between, but it's nice to have the thing working when I want it. I just get all OCD when stupid stuff goes wrong and makes me crazy!

Regardless, I certainly appreciate the assistance from everyone. Heaven knows I couldn't do half of what I've learned to do here without the communal knowledge!

Thanks...
Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online