Intercooler. I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I really need to get an intercooler in the Crossbreed. The main problem, is that there isn't room for one. With the A/C condensor, and 3 electric fans, I have no space in front of the radiator.

Just for review. The Crossbreed is a 82 GMC body, on a 91 Gen 1 chassis. Right now I'm running a stock Dodge radiator. I think I would have room for a GM diesel 4 core.

My best thought so far,is to have a custom downflow radiator/intercooler built, that puts the intercooler beside the radiator. That would put both water oulets on the passenger side, for the Gen1, and both intercooler ports on the driver's side. Unfortunately, i know I don't have the $$$ to make that happen any time soon.

Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
You could run the intercooler in the bed of the truck with a couple flexlite fans behind it :confused:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Never thought of that. Seems like all that tubing would only amplify the lag.

Thanks for the thought, though.

Whit

Reaction score
Put the radiator in the bed with the flex-lites and there will be enough room for the intercooler up front :confused:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I talked to the guy that I bend exhaust for, at the local diesel shop. He tells me NOT to put an intercooler on that motor, or it will burn it up. The turbo won't spool up correctly, and the boost won't match the fuel supply. His experience is, that with an intercooler, he had to put a bigger housing on, to make things match. Actually, he told me to try adding a little propane to the mix, and toy with it, until I get it right, for power, without slamming the exhaust temps.

I'm still stumped. I like the way it runs now, but like everyone else, I'm always looking for a little more. The EGT just worries me, maybe more than it should.

I really just want to be able to pull good with it, either with a load, or in front of the sled. Right now the EGT will get high, if I'm pulling into a hard headwind, or a long grade. By high, I mean I NEVER let it get over 1100. I made that my rule, so even if I'm mad, or close to the end of a pull, I don't go to far, and eat a piston, or turbine. It usually runs somewhere around 850-900, if I'm loaded heavy, running on the flat.

Damn I hate being diesel-dumb. I'm sure this old worn out rig has a lot more balls than it shows. As far as I can tell, it's had nothing more than some fuel screw/smoke valve tweaking. I just don't want to push it so far that I tear it up.

Also, I don't want to get too exotic. I really don't want to go with propane, ****, or water. Feels a lot like cheating, when you are pulling against other stock rigs.

Whit

Reaction score
Packrat, If egt is your big concern and the reason you are wanting the intercooler then I would take a hard look at water/****...........this would drop your temps AND give you that extra power you are looking for :confused: Its just an option but worth considering

Remember that water/**** = turbo upgrade.........its turbo in a bottle :D

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Well, most people cross bridges, when they come to them. I seem to jump off, instead.
I called my local salvage guy, and got a GM diesel 4-core radiator, which should be a drop in fit, for my rad support. The radiator is only going to cost me time, as I occasionally drag dead wagons to the graveyard, for him. I didn't get it today, because I went to an auction, and picked up a late model Ram intercooler. I don't know what exactly it fits, other than a 'late model' Dodge pickup. It has a few dents and dings, and the top is bowed slightly, but looks pretty good. I think it was a takeout, from a car/deer accident. What he heck, it only cost me $35, with half a pickup load of other junk.

I'm still trying to dig up some solid info, on ****/water, and propane, injection. I really want to do some bombing, before Fair time.

I really should get the turbo freshened up, since I have no idea how many miles are actually on The Crossbreed.

Now, where did I leave those parts, for my boost regulator?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Sounds like ya probly did the right thing. Those 80's gm bodies seem to have quite a bit of space in them behind the grill and inner fender areas, I'm sure that long 6 banger takes up quite a bit of that though. I've got a friend with a '93 dodge cummins and helped him work on it a little. We turned in the power screw 2 turns and added a 12 cm wastegated housing that I had lying around and it really woke that thing up. It was a night and day difference in power with not a lot of extra smoke.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Well DD, you are half right. The Chevy rad support is plenty wide, but the Cummins is so long, that there is no room for a regular fan. The electric puller's bracket has been carved, to clear the fan snout. I'm still going to have to bend the laws of physics, since there is no room in front, with the condensor, and 2 pusher fans.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Try looking at SNOW
I'd shy away from propane on a cummins, it's not as benificial as it is on the higher reving v8's. It still works from what I've seen, but you get much more bang for your buck with a snow setup tuned just right.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
New prescription, for a heart condition.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get an intercooler install done, by fair time. Probably won't even get the new rad installed, either. Just can't afford to have the Crossbreed down that long.

Who's got numbers on how much ****/water a Gen1 can take, before it gets grouchy?

I've been following the Med Duty ****/water thread, but I want to hear from members that have done it, on a Gen1. Power really isn't the issue, as I'm not wanting to tear up the clutch, or the Jetlag. A little more power would be handy, but the real issue is EGT.

I really want to stay on the careful side, as this old rig has been rode hard, and put away wet, more times than a Vegas ******.

058hamer

Reaction score
how about a splash h20 system and a ziggsters propane setup thinking of that for my truck befor i do the ic project

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
I've been running the Snow Water/**** system for about 3 weeks now. I really like it.
The truck is a 93 CTD, hybrid HX35/16, POD injectors, timing up, and alot of pump tuning. My head gasket etc is stock and still intact.
I also have a Valet mode as well....
Basically with the truck in Valet mode (low power) I am running absoluely NO AFC fueling at all.
On a test grade posted at 10% a run in OD at WOT will result in EGT's of about 1300*F - 1350*F. With the WM system turned on and only the first stage running I have EGT's of approx. 900*F - 950*F... and it's a devil of a time getting it to go any higher. Boost pressure at that level reach about 32psi or so.
That was with a mix of 30% **** and 70% water.

I am now running 50/50 and the temps are pretty much the same but I get a decent kick in the pants from the higher **** ratio.
When I lower the "onset setting" for the secondary (full psi/flow) setting to kick in at 30psi it really starts to haul apples....my boost will jump to about 40psi and my temps are still VERY reasonable and safe to hold at WOT.
The biggest gain is when I go out of Valet mode and use all the available fueling my pump will provide.
I then see my EGT'***** near 1700*F damn fast without WM.
When I run the WM system with both primary and secondary levels I have a drop of about 250*F - 275*F in my EGT's.
The boost will run well over 40 psi and it is just plain nasty to hold on to, as most 1st Gen CTD'ers know when you get one of these old girls wound up high on the freeway...

pb...