Intercooler and Egts

bagged89

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a couple questions. Is there many guys out there that have done a pre 91.5 intercooler swap in? what kind of work i needed to do it? just get parts off a doner 91.5 and up truck? and why is it that the power rating didn't change in 91.5 when they got the intercoolers as an intercooler would add more power? :confused: also how far can i got with mods on my 89 5speed 2wd without having to worry about high egts as i do not yet have a pyro? :peelout I know a intercooler helps lower egts.

Whit

Reaction score
I believe our member Paccool has done this to his truck along with quite a few other bombs, Stan dont frequent the site much but he will drop in and see this and respond sooner or later.

Cheers, Kevin

bagged89

Reaction score
i would just like to add that my truck has ac and id like to keep it, i heard that doing a IC swap on these trucks u have to ditch the ac condensor and id like to keep it.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I'm up against the same questions, on The Crossbreed. The local diesel guy told me NOT to put an intercooler on it. Something to do with the way the fueling is set up. He said he's seen a couple that were burned out, after adding the intercooler. I don't know, personally, just passing the info that was given to me.

Several members here suggested water/**** injection to control egt, as well as adding a few ponies. I haven't gotten around to trying it out, yet.

bagged89

Reaction score
i don't see how an intercooler would do any harm to it, ive heard of water/**** injection hurting them tho.

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
The IC would not be the cause of burning out anything that I can see....
The IC simply reduces charge air temperatures and in every case that is a highly desirable effect/goal.
The only way that the statement "could" be true is if the fueling was cranked up so crazy ass bad that the IC could not handle the charge air heat and you'd end up with EGT's so bad that there was engine damage from "that"...

bob.....

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
bagged89,

My sons and I swapped a '96 5.9 engine into his '90 D250 and we just found a core support, condenser, radiator, CAC tubes, grill, etc. off a '93 to do the job.

My inderstanding of the addition of the IC was primarily for emissions, however when you start adding HP it comes in handy like pb said :D

I would also suggest you install a Pyrometer as it is the most important gauge IMHO....

bagged89

Reaction score
ya, i mostly wanna install one to help lower egts, plus a plan on making some serious hp one day and it just seems dumb not to have one, i myself think they help a fair bit for power.

paccool

Reaction score
Well, Kevin said I'd be around one of these days!

As my truck is a 93, I didn't have to do anything with the intercooler. I'm not sure why the one guy said to not put one on a early model, it's easy to get more air quicker when you go to a smaller exhaust housing. The turbos are the same except for the exhaust housing. The 92 and 93's had a 18.5 CM housing, the early years had a 21. I, like many others, have changed to a smaller housing. I have a 16 but some have gone all the way down to a 12. Depends on what the truck is used for. Towing, you will want to stay a little larger to help keep the heat down. You also need to do something to get more air into the turbo as the early mods had a small inlet line. As well as the inlet, a larger exhaust will also help keep temps down. ALL of the above, including the IC will help drop the EGT's. The smaller turbine housing can add temps if you go too small. Lots of porting will also help. The more air, the cooler the truck will run until you start adding more fuel then it will start to come back up.

My truck is just getting finished getting a new PDR stage 2 head and PDR cam. Also getting a GSK installed for higher RPMs. Next month I plan on getting twins and a larger exhaust installed. I have already installed a ATS manifold and had it ported before installing. I ported the inlet to the turbo as well. All this should give much lower temps and also more power. Time to start turning the fuel up! ;Really :thumbsup:

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
Hey Stan...bad news there bud.....It seems that some totally wacked out 1st Genner went and stole yer twins..... ;Sweet ....so, you'll just have to put a bigger pinwheel in yer PDR '35.....ahhhhh welllll..... :angel:

pb.....

edit: you'll do anything to beat us guys up here north of the 49th won't ya.:D

paccool

Reaction score
Hey there Pastor Bob!

"you'll do anything to beat us guys up here north of the 49th won't ya."

He**, not trying to beat you guys, just trying to keep up! :hail :Sly You guys up there are setting the bar pretty high.

I was going to buy new truck but decided to keep the old gal instead. I keep telling my wife to think about how much money I'm saving by not getting the new truck and fixin my old one instead. Trouble is, now I've really started down that path and one thing seems to lead to another and so on ---------. Got the water **** system figured out, will probably wait til the turbo and exhaust work is finished to install. My goal?-I want 1000# of torque. I'm hoping I can get there with about 400HP. That should make a good towing rig. ;Really LOL

Piers told me he had you set time aside for me. See you soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.