Installing cab clearance lights

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m planning on installing cab clearance lights on my truck this weekend. I found a few semi helpful YouTube videos. I’m mostly concerned about what wire I can splice into without causing damage.

Does anyone have tips? Anyone done this before?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure if it's there on bullnose trucks, but on OBS trucks there's an unused plug behind the passenger side kick panel for the cab lights to plug in to. Probably the only extra wire in the whole truck that the beancounters didn't take away, not sure how the engineers got away with that one :D

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure if it's there on bullnose trucks, but on OBS trucks there's an unused plug behind the passenger side kick panel for the cab lights to plug in to. Probably the only extra wire in the whole truck that the beancounters didn't take away, not sure how the engineers got away with that one :D

I'll take a look down there this evening. I think there has been some wiring changes done to the vehicle as I have a few connectors that have no male plugged in...

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a look down there this evening. I think there has been some wiring changes done to the vehicle as I have a few connectors that have no male plugged in...

What year is your truck? I also want to install clearance lights but haven't even started to look into it yet.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're not installing LEDs then make sure whatever wire you splice into can handle the extra current. Personally I like running fresh, dedicated wires whenever possible as I find it easier for troubleshooting if it becomes necessary.

I like the idea of installing cab clearance lights but I always figured I would botch the layout and have uneven spacing.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're not installing LEDs then make sure whatever wire you splice into can handle the extra current. Personally I like running fresh, dedicated wires whenever possible as I find it easier for troubleshooting if it becomes necessary.

I like the idea of installing cab clearance lights but I always figured I would botch the layout and have uneven spacing.

I know, I'm scared haha! They are not LED. How can I make sure the wire can handle the extra current? Math? haha

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I wake up in cold sweats with this fear.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s 5 #194 bulbs. I just looked it up, they are 3.8watts each. That’s 19 watts total, at 12.8v that’s less than 1.5 amps. I’m pretty sure you’re not going to overload any wire with that. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wake up in cold sweats with this fear.

A trick that may work for nailing the spacing is to use a seamstress’ tape. It’s a cloth tape measure and should be able to follow the roof contour vs a tape measure that kinks unless it’s flat. You can tape it down to the roof to keep it in place. I didn’t use it for clearance but for a painting project on one of my other trucks.

A magnetic ruler would work even better.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I like the idea of the seamstress's tape that bilbo mentioned. I don't think that there's any set measurements that you have to follow. The center three are closer to each other than the outer two are to the closest center one (I hope that made sense). What I would do is to lay down your seamstress's tape. Then find the center of your roof. There's the middle light. Next, I would do is to decide how far from the drip rails that you want the outer two lights. If I was to guess, I'd say in the 15-18" range. Last. decide how far from the center light that you want the other two middle ones. Sit your lights down in their designated spots and go to the front of the truck and see how you like the lay out. If you don't change it. When you finally get it all set up how you like it, mark the roof around the outside of the lights. Finally, start drilling holes.
Now, just to be on the safe side, you may want to get ahold of your DOT to see if there's any rules about how they have to go on. There probably is. If I was close to my Ex Wife, I'd just go and take some measurements for you, but I'm not. I'm going to put some LED clearance lights on her before I start driving her. I'll be cheating and will just replace the old, broken ones that are there.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm now wondering if I made a mistake getting halogen vs LED. I've always been under the impression that mixing the two systems can be kind of complicated but thats coming from motorcycle knowledge and the batteries are much smaller.

It’s 5 #194 bulbs. I just looked it up, they are 3.8watts each. That’s 19 watts total, at 12.8v that’s less than 1.5 amps. I’m pretty sure you’re not going to overload any wire with that. Good luck.

Thanks for looking into it!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You could always just randomly space them across the front and have people wonder what the rationale was behind it.. because.. there must be a reason.. :)

Don't the headlight switches on our trucks like to melt/short out when too much power goes through them? (Not that cab lights are heavy draw)
Yes they do. That's a popular reason for switching to LEDs. I like the idea of the random spacing. The only thing is that I've always seen them in a certain pattern. It's the same pattern as the rear lights on a trailer or the cab lights on a semi. I do know that there's DOT rules for placing those lights and reasons for it. I may be able to get away with a random pattern here in Kansas where the rules for autos and light trucks are pretty relaxed, but California could be a very different thing. I'd hate to see someone drill holes in the top of his/her cab and then have to move the lights and drill more holes. Not ot mention a possible fine on top of that.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the LED subject - is it an issue or a nuisance (wiring wise) mixing LED with with Halogen?