Installing cab clearance lights

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a quick look-see..
When it comes to commercial trucks, there are all sorts of regs for lights (obviously). Looks like if the vehicle is over 80" wide there are spacing rules.

You must be registered for see images attach

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure on '87-'91 the plug for the cab lights is behind the driver side kick panel just below the dash. On the '92-'97 it's on the passenger side behind the kick panel as previously described. I'm not sure if there's a connector for '86 and older in all trucks but I suspect it's like the others.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure on '87-'91 the plug for the cab lights is behind the driver side kick panel just below the dash. On the '92-'97 it's on the passenger side behind the kick panel as previously described. I'm not sure if there's a connector for '86 and older in all trucks but I suspect it's like the others.
Theres one behind the driver kick panel, brown wire, just hanging out.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Squach has put some really neat lighting on his Silver Truck. He is OCD in his work, and it shows. I like what he ahs done on the headache rack and the bar above the bumper.

I watch a lot of his stuff... the Super M that He and Sr just did is really nice. I can't wait to see 1113 fire up the first time.....

Ray Packer

Reaction score
My 1993 IDI Turbo already had cab lights. Just a note to y'all. I replaced the faded amber lenses w/smoked lenses, and installed blue LED lights. Looked awesome because truck is dark blue. Drove it for about a year until I got stopped one night by local Barney Fife. Was informed that blue cab lights were illegal. Seems the blue lights make my '93 look like a police vehicle. OMG.....really.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know about the police look alike, but I can believe that the blue lights could be illegal. By going off of the big truck rules, you are supposed to see amber from the front and red from the rear.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blue lights are illegal in all states I believe. As are flashing lights not used for emergency response.

I put an led I had on my shelf into my old bikes marker light, not realizing it was blue, and had a ferry worker inform me of the law. For the month it was in there, the stop light outside work changed way quicker than normal for me!

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres one behind the driver kick panel, brown wire, just hanging out.

The kick panel is the plastic panel on the left of the clutch pedal?

I've got these open harnesses right now neither of which are brown. The blue one concerns me... my guess is that it should be plugged into the connector in the image

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes thats the one next to the pedal. A bit of a pain to pull out, goes under the sill too. That wire in the second pic may go to the under dash light or the parking brake limit switch.

What are the colors on the first pic and where do they go in the engine bay?

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes thats the one next to the pedal. A bit of a pain to pull out, goes under the sill too. That wire in the second pic may go to the under dash light or the parking brake limit switch.

I guess I should just leave it unplugged?

What are the colors on the first pic and where do they go in the engine bay?

Its hard to say where it goes its kinda a cluster f*ck of wires in the engine bay. The wires are kinda covered by a plastic thing and I think its basically the same place where all of the wires from the fuse box go through. The wires are red, red and blue/black line.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do we need a parking brake limit switch? Or is it just the parking brake dash light. I have the same thing hanging down in my 87.

John Scott

Reaction score
I put led i got off Amazon and there blacked out but u can get the amber ones if u want. . I can measure mine out tomarrow and post if u want

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online