Installed front hitch- what to do about sway bar bracket?

Discussion in 'General, Performance, Upgrades & Accessories' started by flyarmyguns, Jun 25, 2018.

1. flyarmyguns

flyarmyguns Registered User

Wow, I'd love to hear from someone who solved this.... I installed a Curt front hitch on my 94 F350 2wd. Install requires dropping the sway bar brackets from the frame, raising hitch in place directly to the frame, and then raising the sway bar brackets back in place under the new hitch... This means that the hitch acts like a spacer between the frame and the sway bar brackets... So now my sway bar has a 1/2" (thickness of hitch) of up/down play inside the sway bar bracket!

Solutions might be;
    1. New sway bar brackets that are 1/2" shorter to make up for the 1/2" the hitch added. Or
    2. Adding in a 1/2" spacer between the sway bar bushing and the frame to fill in the gap. Or
    3. installing sway bar bushings that are 1/2" taller (again to fill in the gap). Or
    4. I dunno....

Can anyone point the way? Thanks all!

swaygap.jpg

2. flyarmyguns

flyarmyguns Registered User

I contacted Curt customer service about this issue. They apologized and told me;

"Yeah. we've heard about this before, and you could make some spacers if you want.... But, the hitch is only 5/16 thick, so it probably won't hurt anything just to leave it loose in the brackets."

Wow....Anyway, I won't leave it loose, so I guess I'll be making spacers...

3. saburai

saburai Full Access Member

Yep looks like you need to make up some half inch thick spacers, heck, it might even tighten up the sway bar bit:)

4. Danielle

Danielle I'm kind of not allowed any more trucks! Supporting Member

I installed front hitch on mine (rwd 93 f350) but I had no issues with spacing. I did at the same time put fat new bushings in. Pardon my mess

5. sjwelds

sjwelds Full Access Member

A heavy flat bar all the way across the gap, bolting to the holes, longer bolts if needed, done.

saburai likes this.