injector smoke / truck died while driving / rebuilt injectors / wont refire

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's my thought. Either the plug or the wiring under the valve cover. One injector can shut down a whole bank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, back in town. Truck fires and runs but I got two injectors not firing. 3 and 4. I switched injectors around and it's not firing the proven good injector. Changed the new valve cover gasket/ harness for fear it was bad out the box. New harness still not firing 3 and 4. So I'm thinking IDM???? I replaced everything else on this thing So why not this as well. Thoughts?

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still not firing the second injector back on driver's side. Replaced IDM, no help. Only thing left is ECM that I can think of.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pcm doesn't really control the injectors like that. Did you ohm out the harness? Or try swapping injectors to another hole to see if it followed?

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did swap out harness and switched injectors. Both fire in hole one but not the second hole.

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't have done this but I also tied a jumper wire from the IDM harness to the harness just before the plug to the gasket/ harness. No change. I then wired the new harness plug that came with the new gasket into the harness. No change. The IDM I purchased ,I actually drove three hours to pick up they told me no flash...... Is it possible they are incorrect? I found it unlikely a co. that remans these would be wrong.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Get a compression tester and find out. You can unplug the ipr and crank it. See if one hole hits different.

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one that said it would do a 7.3 but it wouldn't do the job. Need one specific to the 99' and up so I've been told. Have I been misinformed? I am ordering one tomorrow so I should know. Runs good smooths out at 1300 rpm but still low on power. No noise other than the thump thump of a dead cylinder. Valves are opening as well. I know this can be solved.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Once up to temp, how much blowby comes out the oil fill cap?
You just need a adapter for a 7.3 powerstroke. Not year specific. It is a tight fit. Google/amazon/ebay "7.3 powerstroke compression test adapter"

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a bit. To be honest I don't notice any difference in blow by, but I could be wrong. I always thought there was a lot of blow by but the motor always ran strong.

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it matters but I have no fuel in the oil and every time I cleared that cylinder through the glow plugs hole it knocked the valve cover over with the residual oil in the cylinder.