Injector Return Kit, 1990 non-turbo, with pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*Moderators Note: Thanks to RavenTBK for a nice run down on how to replace your aging return lines. This author's presentation presents a popular way to do this process.*

Here is a quick rundown, how-to, directions, whatever you want to call it about doing your own injector return lines in the driveway. There are many many threads out there with valuable information, but really isn't anything with pictures to get a timid wrench like myself the confidence to just go knock it out. Now that you see generally whats involved, go back to searching the forums for good info and tips. :)

Click on any inline image to enlarge...

Lets get started:

1. Get yourself a quality return line kit. Send a PM to either "typ4" or to "agnem" to get one. Current price (obviously can change) as of this writing was $51, shipped. Verify through PM before you ***** about it.

You must be registered for see images attach

2. Get comfortable... in my case, required a fan hung up to keep the 'squitos off my ass. Laid down a ladder across the front end to make it easier to lay up there.

3. Get your tools. Specifically you'd need:
5/8 Line wrench
Flathead Screwdriver
adjustable wrench
standard socket set (1/4" drive preferred due to space restrictions)
Sharp knife (for cutting line)
needle nose pliers
Vaseline (to lube o-rings)
and common-sense. :)

4. Pull off the aircleaner, set to nicely out of the way.

5. Remove all four (4!) injector line clamps... set them off to the side.

6. Pick a side.. do one half of the engine at a time. I started on the drivers side. Put your 5/8" line wrench to work unscrewing the injector caps. Use your needlenose to slide back the clamps on either end of the unit.. the metal tee on the rear, and the injection pump. Pull the hoses off their endpoints, but leave them attached to the plastic tees.

7. Once all four caps are loose and free, gently pull up on each plastic tee and remove it from the injector. It helps to lightly twist to free them. Try to remove all four tees and lines as a single unit. You will need to put pressure on the hard lines to make room to remove the tees. Gentle pressure, do not bend! In my case, the return tees were original parts, and FIRMLY attached. I used the flathead screwdriver to assist the tees in popping up.

8. Once all four tees are out, lay them on a flat surface to inspect, and recreate them out of new parts. Measure the hose length between each plastic tee, and recreate it with new parts alongside. Basically build a new four tee "unit" alongside the old one. You can see my old tees were so old and brittle that they didnt survive removal as a unit. The important part is getting the hose length correct in between the tees.

8(a). On a side note, if your lines are excessively old like mine, you might have trouble removing them from the metal parts. This is a closeup of my metal tank return tee. The hose is basically turned to rock and had to be whittled off the nipples. Holy crap. Don't be afraid to deviate from these instructions slightly to accomplish the goal. I had to undo intake manifold bolts to free up the tee to cut them all off.

Edit: There are more steps in the writeup... waiting for a mod to approve the second page... it should appear below this one. Sorry@! -rTBK

Last edited:

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9. Once you have your new set built, climb back up under the hood. Time to do o-rings! In a perfect world, you should be able to roll the rings out of their grooves off the injector. Do the bottom ring first, that way it rolls over the top ring and off, rather than doing the top first and having the bottom get caught in the top's groove. Mine were little o-ring rocks. I had to gently cut them off. Either way works...just don't damage the injector!

10. Time to break out the Vaseline! Use it to lube the o-rings before, and after you slip them down on the injectors. To install the rings is the opposite of removal. Imagine proper ****** use... slip over the tip and roll down to the base. Install top one first, then roll bottom one on. Lubricate! Myself, I didn't have any Vaseline available, so I used some hyd oil instead. As long as the o-rings are lubed up well, the new return tees will install nicely.

11. Once all eight rings are on their four injectors, break out the new unit you made earlier. Adjust the hard lines out of the way and drop each return tee down over each injector loosely. I used a 14MM deep well socket to gently push down on the return cap to lock them in place. If you push straight down, you should feel a solid pop when they seat properly. Be sure you don't damage the new o-rings!

12. Once all caps are seated, you may reinstall the hard lines back onto the injectors. As long as the return tee is seated properly, there should be a small, but obvious gap between the cap screw and the return tee when the cap screw is tightened. Do not overtorque the cap screws! You should now look like this:

13. Lets move to the passenger side of the engine! Repeat steps 6-12! You might need to remove the brace for the fuel filter to give adequate room. I did. Only change to the above is the injector pulse adapter thats on injector #1 (under fuel filter). You need to slide the plastic ring to display the head of the adapter. You'll have to use both the adjustable wrench and line wrench to remove the set from the injector. Look at the photos below and you'll see the large gap between the hard line and injector..thats where the adapter goes.

13(a). Another photo once the passenger side unit is installed:

14. Verify all connections, make sure all hose clamps are in place, reconnect the endpoint lines to the IP, fuel filter, and tank return. Here is the finished product!

15. Turn the engine over. In my case, it took very little to get her to catch. Once she fires up, watch the return tees for leakage down the injectors. Run it for a few minutes to make sure. See a leak? Make sure the tee is properly seated on its injector. Maybe you nicked an o-ring? In my case, all was well, as I took my sweet ass time.

16. Shut her down, reinstall the hard line clamps. Reinstall air filter. Did you tighten all the bolts you loosened? Double check.

17. Joyride. Work her through her paces a little bit. Get her warm. Get out and re-check your tees for leakage. Periodically check over the next few days to verify. Consider the job complete.

Like I said earlier, this is not to be a concise detailed guide about doing this job. This is just a photo essay to give you confidence in getting it done yourself. I am a very timid wrench, and prefer to know exactly how something comes apart before I tear it down. Hopefully this helps somebody else. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads