Injection pump swap questions

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not mentioned on here a lot, but a sticking metering valve in the pump will make these things impossible to start when cold. Hopefully this pump will get you going.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Did not touch the gear housing, just loosened the nuts on the studs and removed the 3 5/16th bolts. I marked the gear in 3 different places and I am positive it did not move!
Not that you did anything wrong here, but FYI, when you leave the housing on the engine, the gear can't jump a tooth. Even if you rotate it upside down on an engine stand. And if you rotate the engine over by hand or the starter (in chassis) it's ok because the injector pump only fits the gear one way. There's a small dowel on the gear that slides into a square sided slot on the drive part of the pump.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I was wondering, but didn't feel lucky enough to purposely try and get it to jump a tooth just to see if it was possible. Really good to know.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot to ask... The return fitting on the new pump is pointed at 12 o' clock. The old pump was at 2-2:30ish. I either need to make a longer hose to reach the fitting or just turn the fitting to the right a bit. Is the orientation of the fitting critical to proper fluid flow or air bleeding, or does it have nothing to do with the price of tea in China?
You must be registered for see images

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't have a good answer to that one. I'd just try to turn it a little bit farther. I'd put a wrench on the fitting underneath it to keep it from overtightening.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's already at the top of the pump so I don't think it matters but ya never know.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the newer pump on yesterday and got it properly timed yesterday afternoon. Runs better than it ever has, no more bucking and it really has get up and go. Unfortunately, it did not start this morning. 12 second glow plug burn timed with a stopwatch then I immediately turned the key. 4 or 5 attempts like that and it sounded like it tried to catch a cylinder here and there but no dice.

I'm done. Disabled the glow plug system and she will now be a ether queen for the rest of her life. I will try and acquire a diesel compression tester and check it just for my curiosity. I can tell you this, the 83,000 mile baby engine the good pump came off of sounds low, mean, and evil. If you stand far away from it you could possibly mistake it for a Powerstroke. It's just thunderous. The engine in my good truck is very light sounding. You can't even compare the two. I know the previous owner used ether for God only knows how long and I used it for three years. Guessing the engine is just severely compromised from years of ether blasts.

Thank you everyone for the help thus far.