Injection pump signs of failure?

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the signs of one going out?

I put in new injectors and it fixed my knock but I'm still smoking white with a slight blue tint under throttle...

I was told it has a new pump but it looks used to me.. it's pretty dirty...

Thanks in advance..
Nick

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
A common sign is if the truck starts well cold, but has problems starting hot. Kinda the opposite of how an IDI likes to behave. ;)

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
These are some of the signs I have seen:
-Leaking from the weap hole, which is on the underside of the pump, near the front of the pump by gear housing.
-Leaking advance plunger seal. Drivers side of the pump
-Intermittent miss at idle. Bad delivery valves? Low internal pressure?
-Sticking metering valve, which causes the truck to stall when the throttle closes quickly
-Hot start issue, as mentioned above
-Cold start issues, still starts hard even when EVERYTHING else starting related is in good shape and no air intrusion.
-Major power loss and very smokey, maybe caused by the timing being way out due to wear?
-If the pump looks damp/dirty all over, its probably on its last legs.

Nice thing with these pumps is that they are "cheap" compared to most pumps. Still $600-$700 is a lot of money however but thats half of most inline pumps. Thats about the only good thing I have to say about these pumps tho, sorry. I have been spoiled in the past with inline pumps and Bosch rotary pumps that lasted half a million miles with much neglect in most cases. But hey, it can't all be roses right.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
You know, I've never had a DB2 apart, they sell rebuild kits on ebay pretty darn cheap, is it something a do-it-yoursefer can tackle? Even if it's not a full rebuild, just a freshen up? Or does it take complex tools the average Joe doesn't have?

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starts fine hot, and cold...
Has power all day long...
Never stalls...
Pump is dirty, but dry and dusty looking not wet...

Had a mechanic tell me it sounds rough at idle, but I cant hear it...

And I haven't lost any coolant or oil on about 1000 miles of driving

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never stalls...

And no blow by from anywhere

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I've never had a DB2 apart, they sell rebuild kits on ebay pretty darn cheap, is it something a do-it-yoursefer can tackle? Even if it's not a full rebuild, just a freshen up? Or does it take complex tools the average Joe doesn't have?

Simply put: no, a DB2 isn't a garage rebuild. Lots of history on here with less than competent folks who have the specialized tools who can't rebuild one properly (see Hall of Shame). If you want a good pump, contact Mel or "Agnem" and get an IP from Conestoga Diesel.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the signs of one going out?

I put in new injectors and it fixed my knock but I'm still smoking white with a slight blue tint under throttle...

I was told it has a new pump but it looks used to me.. it's pretty dirty...

Thanks in advance..
Nick

When was the last time you had your engine timed? Timing makes a big difference in performance and cold starting, finding somebody local who has the right probe to time it can be challenging.

Good luck

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Never stalls...

X2 on the pump timing maybe being out. And if thats the case and it clears up your issues once set correctly, I would not worry about the pump for now if its not giving you any other isses. But keep in mind that it is a sound idea to be prepared ($ wise) for a failure of the pump as it will happen one day...

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the pump funds stashed away..

And I've looked into timing it, looks like I'm going to need to rent a light and do it myself... just didn't want to go through it all if I have to replace the pump the day after..

Thank you guys.. and who on here rents the timing , and does it come with instructions... cuz otherwise I'm gonna end up learning the hard way, haha

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you are good at taking stuff apart, and putting it back together, then yes. Anybody can "rebuild" a pump. Which is sort of the problem. It's why there are "rebuilt" pumps on-line for $250 to $300. The problem is, after you've done all that, unless you replaced all the worn parts (which honestly, it takes a trained eye to decide if a part is worn or not), removed the slop from parts that have it and set the pump up on a calibration bench, all you have is a bunch of new parts in a pump that is not really working properly. You COULD get lucky, and be satisfied with the results, but why risk a whole weekend to do it? It still takes me the better part of a full day to build one, although I'm trying to get faster at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online