Injection Pump? Possibly or adjustment

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
hey guys, just purchased an 85 6.9 4x4. I have replaced all the injectors on it due to the truck "running" off on me some.

Here re is the issue. It runs great and smooth at idle and for about 25 minutes while driving. Then all the sudden it starts to have an injector knock and massive amounts of smoke blowing out. During this time it will sometimes try and run off but not much and then eventually it will basically die and won't start again until it sets for a while.

My my thoughts are that it is the injector pump, maybe a seal or something but don't know much about the pumps. I am familiar with the engines though so I understand it.

Anyone got some some possible pointers or ideas?

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
Oil is good. No issues at all.
Sucks down the fuel when it happens.
Originally thought to be injectors but they are all new now and no improvement.
Word was the pump was turned up in one time but has since been turned down( my understanding).

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
Yea. The International guy here said could be the (governor ring) in the pump I believe and may need a new pump.
I have ascertained today that the VRV is bad but haven't been able to find a replacement yet.
Not sure if that could cause the same symptoms though.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
VRV will only effect shifting of the transmission. The VRV has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the running, or not running properly, in this case, of the engine. However, once it is running correctly, your freshly rebuilt transmission (mentioned in the other post) will be none to happy..... I wonder if that's why it was recently rebuilt.........

How much fuel is in the tank? If the shower heads are broken off, you could be running out of fuel if it's near 1/4 tank. Are you running the factory style mechanical lift pump, or an electric lift pump? How does the fuel supply from the schrader valve look when it starts running poorly? Have you replaced the fuel filter, and does it still have the factory water separator on the firewall near the brake booster? Many things to look at on these that are simple fixes, but can make the difference between a good running truck, and one that won't get out of its own way.......

There is a possibility you could need a pump... but check these other things before shelling out $600+ for a pump.... (read the Hall of Shame thread before purchasing any parts)

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
Haha! Yea. It has new filter. I am gonna replace the rubber return line to the filter and I'm not sure about the separator. I don't see any other separator and have never messed with the ones on the 6.9.
As for the fuel it is full and clean.
I haven't checked what fuel looks like when running bad because it only does it when running down the road. Never does it when I and just using it around the property.
I know if it sets for long it's a B to stay back up due to loss of pressure but I haven't seen any leaks anywhere and injectors seal kit is new and no leaks. Most likely coming from a rubber line I would guess.
I will check the fuel separator ASAP.

Oh and has mechanical lift pump.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those water separators on the older trucks were very problematic.Surprising to hear a truck of this age still has one hooked up.Ideally you'll bypass it and install a better setup.

gandalf

Reaction score
Good point. The fuel/water separators on the older trucks caused lots of problems. We're talking about the kind mounted on the fender wall back toward the hood hinge, driver's side. It has a pull-ring on top. The pull-ring frequently failed to close properly, and allowed air to enter the fuel flow. That caused all sorts of problems. As the previous poster/gentleman said, splice around it for the time being. Be sure your splices are good, won't allow air into the system.

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
Hmm. Ok I just went out to look at it so I may see what I can come up with. Saw on another site a filter replacement from napa with a head unit to do away with it so may look into that.
Thanks guys. Hopefully this will resolve it without having to change the IP. Not looking forward to that. Plus the missus won't be real happy if I have to drop $$ into it. Haha.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put on the napa water/ fuel filter on mine ahead of the original fuel filter as the napa filter isnt as fine a filter as the stock filter.

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
I got some numbers off another site. Gonna look it up later.
As far as bypassing the original is it simply take the lines off the separator and splice them in?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can do that or remove the hard lines and go all rubber, I have two stock factory fuel filter setups with the mounts from a 94 and a 93 that youre welcome to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online