Infant car seats in these dinosaurs..

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently in my 85 with the vinyl rear seat and only lap belts, I drive both kids all over. What I do is pull the belt all the way to the stop, thread it thru the seat and buckle, then I retract it into the reel. On mine, the lock feature keeps it from coming out so I kneel on the seat to really squish it in there while pushing the belt in to get another click or two. Had no problems yet!

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations bro! Little man is going to love driving in Dada’s monster truck!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love seeing all the papa's commenting here, and congratulations Brian!

I have a super cab and as said earlier you can't get a normally sized rear-facing seat in the back. So any time I've had a youngster that's still rear-facing they go in the front passenger side just fine. Either tying down the base or the seat itself is easy that way, again read the instructions but do as @Scotty4 says and really kneel/squish that seat down so there is good tension on the belt. Don't go crazy, it won't help any.

So I don't DD my pickup but it's my backup family vehicle, so it always has my extra two forward facing car seats in the back and then we grab the toddler car seat from the family car to strap in the front if I need to take all 3 somewhere.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one squeezed in the center position of our super cab. The infant seat barely fit with the depth of the seat, but the new one fits better. He will have to turn around a little sooner unless we stick his legs out the rear slider though. I was able to find the tether anchor kit on ebay for when we turn it around. The holes are there underneath the trim. Ford has this stylish option in their '86 sales brochure though I haven't found what the infant carrier looked like then.

Attachments

• 20220511_142025.jpg
    20220511_142025.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 11

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are concerned still, use center buckle and you can mount a used seatbelt behind the seat (single cab) and anchor through the floor with grade 8 bolt and washers to attach to the newer seats with top strap capability. then you have adjustabliity to top of baby carrier

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far the 2 we had one is in a booster but #3 on the way, the seats anchored well in the back of the Crew Cab, only problem was reaching to buckle them up i found it easier to put them in and then reach over the front bench seat and buckle them in, mine is a tad higher with super swampers on which came on the truck when i got it..

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So I loaded my daughter into the back of my dad's crew cab yesterday so we could hit up Home Depot, just using the lap belt worked just fine. Wife had a hard time getting in and out, she's short and the truck doesn't have steps LOL

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both mine were in car seats at the same time. I used the metal seatbelt lock attachment and a skinny pool noodle.

I took advantage of my husband's large size to sit on the base or car seat while I tightened the belt and installed the lock.

Having him do that was the only way I felt safe that there was zero wiggle room

At that time I also babysat another car seat age kid so the hardest was that center one. The state police that checked had me add a second lock but they needed no adjustments or concerns.

I had my brand new minivan at the time but getting 3 car seats in that was such a pain, especially recovering from a c section! The truck was the best option for me.

I did mount mirrors up high so I could see them when they were rear facing. The truck is so loud that I worried I wouldn't be able to hear them if they were in distress.

If you're of slimmer stature I'd get a beefy friend to help haha