I'm done

Justin1574

Reaction score
Just wondering what the resale of my 94 Ford F250 7.3 idi turbo e4od extended cab. Trans is about to crap out I think. Girl pick up need to be replaced and water pump gasket has a small leak.

Last edited:

Justin1574

Reaction score
What is your transmission doing?
Slow shifts, stacked shifts, slipping at highway speeds. Been keeping a check on fluid. It's not low, but I do know it needs front seal. Just getting aggravated. I can't really afford to rebuild the trans, and I'm wondering if it's every worth it

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pretty close on paying 3k for a 4wd truck like you describe. Good 7.3, decent body and interior, transmission was shot. Honestly given the reputation of the e4od buying a truck with a bad transmission and getting it rebuilt right, and starting fresh would have been a bonus to me..

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion. If you have a clean truck body wise and the engine runs good do whatever you have to do to get the tansnission rebuilt. Body and engine work is the harder stuff. Transmission swap is easy in comparison.

From your avatar your truck looks pretty clean. I'd say you'd be better off fixing what you've got. Get a transmission from a junkyard with a warranty if you can't afford a rebuilt right now. Not always a one and done that way but at least you're not paying for it over and over.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may not even be the trans, just electrical crap.
Read up on all the e4od issues, most fixes are free.

This too. 2 months ago my torque converter was slipping at highway speeds. Checked the wiring pigtail to the solenoid valves and it was wet. Used electrical cleaner on the connections, let borh sides dry, plugged it back in and no issues since.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I was pretty close on paying 3k for a 4wd truck like you describe. Good 7.3, decent body and interior, transmission was shot. Honestly given the reputation of the e4od buying a truck with a bad transmission and getting it rebuilt right, and starting fresh would have been a bonus to me..

I paid $2500 for my decent 87 6.9 with a recently rebuilt C6. The C6 made it worth it, in my mind. It was ready to go as it was, no hauling it to a shop and waiting a week or two. Especially since i drove 200+ miles to get it. I towed back the small car I drove to get it with a tow dolly.

The transmission is a lot cheaper to have rebuilt than the engine. If my engine goes catastrophically, that will be the end of this truck for me most likely, unless I get lucky somehow and get a fairly cheap ($1500-$2000) engine rebuild or swap. Much more than that? No. I could get a newer gasser. I don't particularly need diesel, I have discovered sinceI got it almost 2 years ago. I just have too much money in this truck to unload it.

I will keep it going with normal wear out parts and proper maintenance but if it needs a $3000 engine rebuild, I might just be done with it. If I go back into an apartment in the next year or two, I might put it up for sale in favor of a smaller truck, or even just a 97-200? 4.6L F150. I had a 99 F150 4.6 stepside, several vehicles ago, and it was a decent mpg truck if I stayed around 60mph.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d start with the tps voltage on the injection pump and clean connections if it still acts up. Could be something simple.

Big Daddy John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the resale of my 94 Ford F250 7.3 idi turbo e4od extended cab. Trans is about to crap out I think. Girl pick up need to be replaced and water pump gasket has a small leak.
Hey Justin, if decide to sell let me know! I might be interested! I’m in Mississippi also!