Big Ugly goes to rehab

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow up on the lever. I believe it's referred to as the advance cam actuation arm.
This is about as clear a picture as I could find.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow up on the lever. I believe it's referred to as the advance cam actuation arm.
This is about as clear a picture as I could find.
Shoot me a pm with your address and I’ll get it to you

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a little update. Been driving quute a bit this week (600 miles so far) and will be using it again tomorrow to pull a trailer so decided to fill up on my way home. I was running the rear tank and filled it first. 220 miles and it stopped at 8.8 gallons. What? That can't be right. I fill up the front tank and it takes 17.4 gallons. So since diesel is quite foamy I decided to see how much more it would take. Another 1.2 gallons is all I could in there before it was visible in the filler neck.

So 10 gallons in 220 miles. I'm a little shocked by that. Happy but shocked.
22mpg is about the best I ever got, just driving like a slow poke...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22mpg is about the best I ever got, just driving like a slow poke...

I've found with this truck speed is less of a detriment to mileage than being away from the torque peak. So if I'm in the 1700-1800 RPM (65-70) range I get better mileage than going slower. At least if it's hilly. Flat ground that's not the case.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So carrying on with the rehab on the truck I decided I would fix the A/C today. Well I got too late of a start and noticed I now have a significant fuel leak so switched gears.

After driving the truck today I watched fuel dripping off the back of the engine, down the passenger side of the transmission and onto the exhaust crossover pipe. Yikes.:eek:

I decided I need to find where it's coming from. I've had a leak on the front drivers side injector return cap but it has been minor. Perhaps it's gotten worse. None of the other injector caps are showing anything more than a minor wetness and zero pooling of fuel in the valley below the injector.

And with return caps in mind, has anyone found a sure fire kit that doesn't leak? Tried NAPA, got one from Type4 when I replaced my injectors way back when. Tried viton o-rings back then but they were too stiff and the cap split when trying to push it down over the o-ring. Have another return kit from Rock Auto I picked up recently I haven't tried yet. In fact ever since I removed the original caps I've had at least a small leak on 1 or more injectors. Pet peeve of mine.

Based on where the fuel was running down the return line behind the engine isn't the problem as it would have gone down the drivers side of the transmission not the passenger side.

Back on topic. I decided I needed to clean the engine as it was so dirty finding a leak besides the one I knew about would be difficult.

So upon cleaning the engine I noticed the the water is pooling up in the valley pan and draining extremely slowly. Guess I need to see if the drain on the back of the block is plugged.

Good times here. Good times. At least I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to having it all finished up hopefully soon.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next installment.
Tunes.

In short I cannot really tolerate the radio anymore. Even in my car which has radio, satellite, usb, bluetooth I find myself listening to the music on my phone most often.

So since Big Ugly had just a simple old Kenwood CD player that is missing knobs and has an overly confusing menu I decided it was time for an update. While I was at it I replaced the rear factory speakers with some cheap Boss 5x7 speakers which bolted directly in place of the originals. The front were already Infiniti reference series so I left them in place.

I got to looking around, and since I'm spoiled with a touchscreen in my car I decided to follow suit in the truck. What I found was a Boss single din with a 7" foldout screen that plays Cd's, DVD's, usb, aux inputs both audio video, 2 sub and 2 video outputs, MicroSd slot, backup camera input and blutooth hands free phone as well as music streaming. At $114 I said why not see how bad/good it is.

In attempting to remove the old stereo (never tried on this truck before) I removed the cover and the hvac controls thinking I would need access through there. Well wouldn't you know it the dash is very weak/soft in there and the plastic around the screw inserts came apart. Looked like this.

Well that sucks. I found as many of the broken pieces as I could and used some super glue to piece it back together and after that it looked like this.

It was strong enough to re-mount the control unit so I put it back together and will hope for the best.

Fortunately the previous system installed by ??? was put in with the proper wiring kit so it was a matter of disconnecting it from the old stereo and reconnecting it to the new one. Wiring harness went together easily.

Installed the unit and powered it up. Works as advertised so far. Bluetooth works well and paired really easily. Radio works. Still waiting on my backup camera to arrive and did not wire in the brake (for dvd playback) yet so there will be a phase 2 to the install.

Here is the unit in place.

The only issue really is the "hood" of the dash pad where it crosses over the stereo sticks out too far and the screen cannot open all the way. I've got it pulled out a half inch to clear it. Does anyone know of an insert that can go behind the mounting frame to move it forward so the stereo can be fully inserted in the frame and lock in place? If that's a pipe dream I'll make something but figured I'd ask first.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's looking good! However, I think you're going to have to be making a piece up to push it forward that half an inch. What's the part number on the head unit? What kind of power does it put out, or do I need to run a secondary amplifier to get any decent power?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the frame itself for placement. That's what the tabs are for.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I had thought about that but figured I'd check to see it there was some kind of trim ring so it didn't look unfinished. I can be a little OCD at times.

Thanks I probably just do that for now and if it continues to bother me make a trim ring myself.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's looking good! However, I think you're going to have to be making a piece up to push it forward that half an inch. What's the part number on the head unit? What kind of power does it put out, or do I need to run a secondary amplifier to get any decent power?

Head unit is a BV9986BI.
4 channel 340 watts RMS so probably 100 watts continuous.

My truck is a standard cab so not much space to fill and it's more than loud enough going down the road with the windows down and my worn out 315's howling at 70 mph.

If you want it "LOUD" you'll need an amp or 4. It has RCA outputs for front, rear, and sub 1 and 2.

Theres also a screen in the setup area where you can individually taylor the input level of all the different inputs so if say your bluetooth is a weaker signal than the CD you can boost it so the volume is balanced between to different audio sources.

I'm feeling positive about it so far I just hope it's reliable for a while.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in a ways, I am grateful for my hearing being wiped out from years of shooting without hearing protection. noone wants to use my trucks as a first choice due to no radio or only a cheap OEM radio. :D
no radio, no cab floor coverings, no real working cab electrical.....yes, we're headed to Texas for the next three months :D

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now that reminds me of a guy I knew from Houston. Back in the early 90's he drove a Nissan pickup. While he was going to Texas Tech, his truck was broken into twice and they stole the radio. He said that he didn't have the money to replace it after the second time. His truck was broken into a third time. He said" The joke was on them. I didn't even have a radio in it"! My response to that is that with the old "junk" I drive, I could leave the doors unlocked, the keys in the ignition and a $100 bill on the dash with a note that says" This is yours, but you have to take it all"! Everything will still be there when I come out in the morning!

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in a ways, I am grateful for my hearing being wiped out from years of shooting without hearing protection. noone wants to use my trucks as a first choice due to no radio or only a cheap OEM radio. :D
no radio, no cab floor coverings, no real working cab electrical.....yes, we're headed to Texas for the next three months :D

My kind of truck I have a radio but never turn it on unless I'm in a serve storm or the wife is in the truck

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today after work I drove out to my shop where my return line kit was and tackled my leaking injector return cap.

Success.

Here's the culprit.

Oring was a little damaged.

Drove home from the shop about 70 miles and when I got home everything was dry. Finally.

Also ordered new tires and wheels today as I'd like to drive this thing to Florida next month and it was not possible with the tires on it now.

Next project is air conditioning. Have all the parts just need some time to do the work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01