IH d239 no start after rebuild

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of shear stupidity on my part last fall i ran my 260 payhoe out of oil and spun two rod bearings. It was a collaboration of neglect and hustle and bustle that was its demise, and i take full responsibility! long story short, i tore it down and diagnosed, and after saving up all winter long to buy parts, rebuilt motor recently! Just got the ol' girl stabbed yesterday, and after a refreshing church service this morning, i set out to get this thing smoking! On completion of buttoning up all the trimmings of a motor install (including setting the valves at .012 as per manual) , filled her with fuel, oil and coolant, and proceeded to try to crank! I pumped primer till i got air out of both fuel filter bleeder screws, then pumped until i heard fuel returning to tank. I cracked injector lines at injectors and began to crank until fuel reached all four injectors (just as i have done a few hundred times in the past) tightened lines and no luck! She was cranking a little low so i chalked it up to that fact, and proceeded to remove starter and check and clean brushes and armature, re did my ground connection on frame, stole a fresh good known battery out of my pickup, and cleaned both terminals well! She is cranking right now! Heres the issue, I am getting fuel to injectors, the pump ran strong when failure occurred, no pump timing has been changed, and all timing marks were checked diligently when assembling, yet no smoke is occurring! It will start on ether (just as test procedure of coarse) but will not continue to run! I have an ve pump on it now which is not stock and there is no shut off solenoid to fail, (which was my first thought). Im sure its something silly I'm overlooking, i am just mentally fried at this point as i have an underlying tranny issue with my pickup right now after just spending a small fortune replacing the IP on it (but thats for another forum) Some body please send me an AIR SLAP and let me know what simple detail i am overlooking! I really appreciate any help at this point!