If I was to get a newer Ford Diesel what is the year of choice?

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am possibly selling one of my completed project cars and thinking about perhaps upgrading my IDI as it will soon need money spent on it, injectors, pump, probably Rad, water pump that kind of stuff. Nothing major - but it should have an OD if I kept it. Like a GV, I know many here would say go ZF - legging a clutch all day is not for me anymore. I will pull a 6000-9000 lb gvw trailer for recoveries and hulk hauling and such. Might pull a boat down the road - probably 5000-6000 gvw - so no real serious towing. What I would need is a 3/4 or 1 ton Ext. Cab 4x4 and AT w/ OD. I'd like to at least get up to the mid to late 90's..even into the early 2000's area. My budget would be around $8,000 to $12,000. I don't know much about PSD's but it seems there were a few years to stay away from IIRC. Even if I stay with what I have it is not a terrible option - I have a good rig, it just lacks in some major components.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With as little as your are pulling, a newer diesel is not for you unless you just hate spark plugs. Now I will just break down my opinion of your situation at hand. If you are looking in the 90s era trucks, the idi's or course untill 93 all run about the same, so I assume you mean 7.3 powered trucks, and if you are getting an OBS diesel ya, 7.3 is a pretty solid choice, not bad at all, and actually suprisingly enough, these is less on them that can go wrong, because of the stuff trucks needed to run clean gas motor wise with the big blocks and windsor motors. Once you get into the super duty trucks, 99-03 you could get a 7.3, and thats not a bad truck either, but unless your hauling heavy, id recommend the 5.4. The reason I say that is the mileage will end up being a hair better or about the same as our idi's, and the trucks have more power. The 5.4 vs the 6.0 cost of ownership is less, because the 6.0s oil changes cost more, and the fuel filter up keep happen at 15k or less.

So, 94-97, go diesel, 99-06 I would recommend the 5.4 or 7.3. I am not sure if your hauling 6000-9000 daily or often, or just randomly by your post

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86