Idle too high

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idle speed is creeping upwards. Idle had always been 650rpm, increased to 800rpm a few months ago, now is at 1050rpm. Fast idle silonoid is not causing it. Idle adjust screw is removed, throttle lever is manually pushed to lowest idle position. Idle is still at 1000rpm. Pump was rebuilt by stanadyne shop in West Monroe, La 30,000 miles ago. (8 or 9 years). Is there anything to check or is this possibly indication of pump replacement time? Thanks for any insight you may have.

Truck is 93 F-250 E4OD 214,000 miles

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You removed the idle screw? Then you must not have a throttle return spring, you need the idle screw and a return spring that hooks on the IP throttle arm and and in a notch on the Hi idle solenoid.

Attachments

• Spring Hook.JPG
    Spring Hook.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 70

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for the input. I will check both this afternoon and post what I find.
Again Thanks.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an pump problem to me.

Yeah, he'll have a pump problem if he don't have a throttle return spring. It's possible for the pump to stay wide open "WOT" without it, then your in deep ****.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
You missed my point.
He's saying with the throttle lever pushed all the way to the lowest idle position the engine is STILL running at 1000rpm.

I bought my truck without the two return springs, leaving just the throttle cable spring to do the work. Drove like that till I swapped the motor. Didn't know there was supposed to be springs there. PO must have driven it that way for quite a while too. No problems.
Quit with the scare tactics, I see this in most of your posts.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Another member had the same problem with a gm 6.2, think he ended up swapping the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked return spring is in place. Idle screw adjusted to lowest idle, throttle cable removed,
hand pushing throttle lever to least idle speed, still 900rpm.

93 F-250 E4OD

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is a I think federal law that mandates we have 2 throttle return springs. Looking closely at our spring you might see it actually is 2 springs in the area of one spring. Now about posting a scarey post.. Nope.. This site tries to make everything correct and true. We all have the ability to become scared or let a post roll off our backs like water off a ducks back. If we try to help someone its up to them how they take whats posted. I can feel whats posted anyway I want too. As you have by commenting the way you di. Not calling you out nor am I saying listen to me because I have over 20,000 trueful posts. I'm just another contributor like anyone else.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idle adjust screw is removed, throttle lever is manually pushed to lowest idle position. Idle is still at 1000rpm. Pump was rebuilt by

[QUOTEYou removed the idle screw? Then you must not have a throttle return spring, you need the idle screw and a return spring that hooks on the IP throttle arm and in a notch on the Hi idle solenoid.][/QUOTE]

That was my response, to his above post, if that is a scare tactic, I'll kiss your A and give you 20 minutes to gather a crowd.

Quit with the scare tactics, I see this in most of your posts

When I post an answer to a problem, and in conclusion, an answer to what might happen if the problem is not fixed, it's not a scare tactic. I would rather some one be "scared" "concerned" with whatever is/was problem. When he said the throttle is manually pushed to the idle position, I don't have a crystal ball computer screen, that tells me the return spring is missing. Yes, I could have told him, your pump is bad, you need a new one, and be done with it. If I was wrong, and he took my word for it, it would have only cost him $500 - $600.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few reasons why the idle speed can increase, but it all comes down to the fact that you need to get that IP rebuilt, or get another pump. Your advance is probably shot, there could be wear in the governor or the metering valve, or their could be crap in the pump. It's unfortunate that your pump did not go the full 100,000 miles. Most likely that shop you dealt with did not replace some parts that should have been replaced.

Now I'll put on my moderators cap, and say that with regard to scary posts, please keep in mind 2 things.

1) These forum posts last forever, and can be read by anyone, anywhere, by a person who possesses little or no knowledge.
2) When you answer a question, it's always best to write it in a way that covers the widest audience.

What this means is, if you can't give the time to post a completely thorough response, then by all means, offer a worst case scenario. As an example. Someone says "my engine doesn't start", and you answer "use either". Now by providing that answer without any further education, you have just put yourself in a position to have a moral liability. Granted, when his glow plugs detonate his either and blows up his engine or causes him harm, your not going to be pulled into court, but you ought to feel some remorse for not saying "but make sure you disconnect all your glow plugs". So the correct answer is "do NOT use either". Now, if you take the time to give a complete lecture on the do's and do not's of using either, then that's fine. So when someone says your missing a throttle return spring, and your engine could run away, don't bash them for what you consider a "scare" tactic, because the reality is it could save someones life. If you go around saying "the spring on your throttle cable is all you need", then I don't want any advice from you, because when that throttle cable falls off and his engine is stuck at half throttle, I don't want to be reading when the post about him wrecking his truck comes around.

Always give the BEST answer if you don't have time to give ALL the answers.

Last edited:

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. Thank you Mel for your input especially.
I was afraid that would be the outcome.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About this idle stop screw. Some confuse the top screw to be the idle stop. The correct idle stop screw in the one thats under the throttle idle stop on the lever. Thats the screw I hope you are posting about. Now on the drivers side of the injection pump there is a plunger thats activated when the throttle opens and closes. I have read posts where the lever that works the plunger gets frozen up. Hand operate the throttle and see if that lever arm is working freely. You can push in the top of ther lever arm and it will pop back out on its own. As Mel posted. sadly you may be loking at another pump. Sorry for the not so good news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01