IDI torque specifications

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Every time we fix or replace something on our trucks, they usually always require a certain amount of torque. Could we have a tech article, that contains the torque specifications for everything from glow plugs, to ball joints? I know they are all contained in the service manuals, but I think it would be just as easy to look them up in a tech article, just after someone on here teaches us how to fix whatever we are looking to fix! :D

Anyone care to list any of the torque specs that they know of, from "The book"?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a lloonngg list.....
Head bolts 100 lbs
rods 51 lbs
mains 95 lbs
camshaft screw 15 lbs
crank dampner bolt 90 lbs
rocker arm bolt 20 lbs
flywheel mounting bolts 47 lbs
exhaust manifold bolt 35 lbs
intake manifold bolts 24lbs
intake manifold drain bolt 40 lbs
air cleaner stud adapter bolt 45 lbs
glow plug 12 lbs
injection line pressure sensor 28 lbs
injecter in head 35 lbs
injection hard lin nuts 22lbs
injection pump gear bolts 5/16 25 lbs

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
From my IH manual
.................................................................................Nm......lbf-ft
Air Cleaner stud Adapter(see note 1).................................61.......45
Camshaft Screw............................................................20........15
Connecting Rod Nut(see note2)........................................69........51
Crankshaft Vibration Damper Bolt.....................................122.......90
Cylinder Head Bolt(see note 3)(used)................................108......80
Cylinder Head Bolt(see note 3)(new).................................101......75
Exhaust Manifold Bolt(with lock tabs)(see note 4)................41......30
Exhaust Manifold Bolt(with metal prevailing bolt)(see note 4)..47......35
Flywheel mounting bolt(see note 1)...................................64.......47
Front Engine mounting bolt..............................................95.......70
Glow Plug.....................................................................16.......12
Injection Pump Gear Cover(see note 1)..............................19.......14
Injection Pump Gear Mounting Bolt....................................34.......25
Injection Nozzle.............................................................47.......35
Intake Manifold Bolt(see note 5).......................................33.......24
Intake Manifold Gasket Drain Plug......................................54.......40
Main Bearing Cap Bolt(see note 6)....................................129.......95
Nut,Injection Pipe...........................................................30.......22
Oil Pan Drain Plug............................................................37.......28
Valve Cover Screw(See note 7)..........................................8........6
Water Pump Mounting Bolt(see note 9)...............................19.......14
Water Outlet Elbow Mounting Bolt......................................27.......20
*Unless otherwise specified, torque values are with threads and washer faces coated with clean engine oil.
Note 1-Apply general purpose Lock N' Seal (IH P/N 577 588 C1) to all threads of bolts prior to assembly.
Note 2-Tighten bolt connecting rod nuts to 51 Nm (38 lbf-ft) before final torque is applied.
Note 3-Cylinder head bolts to be torqued in steps as specified in Figure 3. Final Torque value for new and used bolts is different.
Note 4-Apply "Never Seez" compound (IH P/N 634 227 C1) to threads of bolts prior to assembly, then torque in steps as specified in Figure 6.
Note 5-Intake manifold bolts to be torqued in steps as specified in Figure 6
Note 6-Tighten four main bearing cap bolts to 102 Nm (75 lbf-ft) before final torque is applied.
Note 7-Valve Cover screws to be torqued in sequences as specified in Figure 4.
Note 8-Rotate Engine until timing mark (notch) on vibration damper is approximately 20 degrees before vertical position as viewed from the front of the engine, approximately 11:00, Refer to Figure 8 Tighten each pair of bolts down evenly. Refer to Figure 9
Note 9-Clean bolts thoroughly. Apply liquid gasket (IH P/N 446 839 C1) to designated bolts(refer to figure 7) only

Would probably help if I had the pictures to go along with it :dunno:backoff

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a big more complicated than that. 6.9 and 7.3 have some differences. It will need to be in the format....

Item.................................................... 6.9................7.3

Gary's post taken at face value will have some 6.9 owner pulling his heads back off to retrieve the little pieces.

And should we have newton meters for our non-U.S. friends? LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How true Mel.. I'm always thinking 7.3 most of the time... Thanks. CDX, you must have the same gray cover manual that I have. Mine is book CGES-435-1. You did a very good job of the posting. Was that scaned in or typed in... I'm impressed...:thumbsup:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Yeah forgot to mention thats for the 6.9 Its all from Form CGES-340-2. Its a brown faced manual I got off of ebay. Lots of good info in that book! That was all typed to LOL My brain hurt afterwards :rotflmao

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an ANCIENT thread, but it's the first hit on google when I search for "7.3 IDI Torque Specs" and it doesn't have the link to the better IDI torque spec thread located here:

I just can't stand searching on the internet (with dirty hands) for the specs and not getting the right post, so at least now it will redirect everyone to the better thread.

Also, I have collected all the 7.3 IDI torque specs, as well as the bolt and nut threads and dimensions, and put them in this article: http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/7-3-idi-torque-specs-and-bolt-dimensions-with-images/

Last edited: