IDI Oil Pressure Range

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
What kind of oil pressure are you guys seeing? You know, on gauges that have numbers LOL;Sweet

I installed an electronic sender at my turbo oil line and put in an Autometer gauge. I see about 15psi at warm idle and at MOST 35-38psi warm driving. Seems to be enough, just not much extra. Any other experiences?

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The low side is fine but the high end is a little low. How many miles are on the oil and the engine. Sadly we have very little we can do to increase the oil pressure. Usually the pressure drops because the spring wears thin from the constant rubbing it gets when its working. I opened up the pressure regulator in one of my spare filter headers and found the spring worn about 30% thru. So that engine must have had very poor pressure. This low oil pressure complaint has been the bane of any rebuilders and its been around for a long time. Russ and I talked about this some time back. He added some washers under his spring. I did this too. Mine were stainless steel and equaled about 80 thousands. They require plenty of grinding to make them fit. It very tuff to do because they are about 5/16 diameter when they finally fit. You can have too high of oil pressure too. Remember we have the oil bypass port. What that opens at I don't know.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Engine has 170K, oil was changed less than 500 miles ago. 15w-40 mix of Rotella (just finished what I had left!!) and some Blain's farm & Fleet 15w-40 (probably a Warren Oil product). Only internal changes it's ever had to my knowledge is the cam swap that I did at 169,900 miles.

Where is this pressure regulator? In the oil filter head/oil cooler?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I doubt the oil is the problem.
Correct on the location of the regulator.
What filter did you use?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Bosch should be fine.
Hmmm. I would maybe verify the gauge is working right using a air compressor. (If it has a good pressure regulator)

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Cold start mornings at idle I see about 40psi, get rolling b4 I see heat and I can see 60psi easy... Once hot about 15 low idle and 38-42psi hot at 2200 rpm

Edit: I have 407291 on the clock... Never been into from what I know

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fully warmed up. 12-14@ idle. 38 cruising@ around 2500 rpm. It will go up to 42psi revved up past 3000.

Odometer showed 59,500 when I got the truck which I believe to be actual. Now has 90K.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per the manual, normal hot oil pressure is 10 psi idle and 40-70 psi @ 2200 rpm. Is "normal driving" is below that... I suggest you get her good and hot then in neutral rev it to 2200 and read the pressure. That's how the manual says to do it. I suspect doing that you will see "normal" oil pressure. The manual doesn't spec the "warmed up" oil temp and oil temp can make a difference a few psi on either side (say 150F to 180F)

FWIW I have tested the difference in pressure between 10W30 and 15W40 at the same oil temp (160F) in my engine and it was about 5 psi. In diesels, when our oil gets old and worn, it usually thicken from soot before it thins from shearing. Whenever I have run oil out too long, soot at 5-6%, the oil actually tests thicker than the new oil. In that case, old oil will actually create MORE oil pressure than new!

Bosch D+ is a great oil filter and there is absolutely nothing wrong with either oils used in the crankcase.

Depending on oil temps, you can sometimes see a drop in pressure if the oil gets really hot (hotter oil is thinner oil and vice versa) but I monitored oil temp in my truck for 10-12 years and even in the deserts and towing, I never saw more than about 220F balls to the wall with a trailer behind. In "normal" solo tooling around 150F or so... which is one reason why I now run 10W30 all the time. At 150F, 15W40 grade oil is running in 50-60 grade and that costs oil flow and efficiency (thick oil costs HP) and increases the chance of oil filter bypass (when a certain amount of unfiltered oil is allowed to pass) when you get on it.

I have a differential pressure setup on my F-150 and can monitor when the oil filter bypasses and cold oil is when that will happen. 10W30 grade oil is running in 40 grade territory at 150F. There are oil viscosity/temperature charts where you can enter in the specs for the oil you are using and you can plot the oil viscosity at any oil temp point. Cold oil doesn't flow thru the filter as well so it will "back up" at the inlet side, creating high pressure there and low pressure on the outlet side. When the differential pressure (the pressure difference) reaches the place where the bypass is designed to open, it begins to bypass the filter and allow unfiltered oil past the filter. I have never found the bypass spec for the IDI but figure it's around 10 psi. I have never tested the differential pressure on an IDI (it's quite a setup to do so) but on my 5.4L gasser, I DO NOT rev past 3500 rpm before the oil temp reaches 150F. I tried different grades of oil, 10W30 and the spec'ed 5W20, and I had to be VERY careful with the 10W30 because I could get it to bypass at high revs (4000) at 180F... which is only about 10 deg below normal oil temps. With 5W20, no bypass problems at 130F or so but I still stick with the 150F guideline. I want ALL my oil filtered ALL the time. It's ****, I admit, but I have learned a lot having 15 gauges hooked up to my truck ( : < ). I know, gaugeaholism is a disease. I need help!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford fixed this problem when they built the truck. They took the oil pressure gauge and figured out what resistor it would take for it to read in the middle, and then put a oil pressure switch on the engine. If you have over 5 psi of pressure, the gauge reads in the middle and you are good. :)

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford fixed this problem when they built the truck. They took the oil pressure gauge and figured out what resistor it would take for it to read in the middle, and then put a oil pressure switch on the engine. If you have over 5 psi of pressure, the gauge reads in the middle and you are good. :)

Not on the Bullnose trucks... they have a "real" gauge (albeit unmarked so you can't see a number). But I have had a regular gauge on my at different time so I could get an actual number.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on the Bullnose trucks... they have a "real" gauge (albeit unmarked so you can't see a number). But I have had a regular gauge on my at different time so I could get an actual number.

I am sorry. They fixed it sometime in 87 or 88 I am thinking. My 89 has the "fix".

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock gauge does move up and down with pressure.idle it sits on the low line and revved up it goes up just a hair below 1/2. Its disconnected for now as it was doing weird things.using a mechanical gauge for now.

I wonder how accurate my Chinese gauge is? Currantly using 5w40.