Idi 7.3 high tork starter has anyone tried one

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The Denso style offset drive?

Have not used on an IDI, but is what dodge uses on Cummins and v8s, and have even had a Chevy version (bellhousing mount style). Good results for me; spin nice and fast. I have read they suffer with voltage sag though. You want as much of your 12-13v as possible.

CalIDI

Reaction score
I haven't got one yet, but on here most people (seems like everyone who has tried it) like the Powermaster 9050.

I've heard they are quite good.

Maybe someone who has one will post a video for proof...

-CalIDI

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
^ That there is exactly the style I'm talking about. The design has been adapted for tons of applications.

Nugget

Reaction score
I just finished installing a 3.6kw db electrical starter, part number 410-48000. Cost $120-130, you can buy from them directly or on amazon, but they wholesale purchase from db to resell. Amazon was on sale, else i would have biught from db, bc they are locally(us) owned. Fyi, they make another that fits that engine that is 2.7kw, so just be mindful to get the big one. My 1st one didnt have the grease fitting properly installed and even though i got it 4 months ago, the company authorized the return which amazon accepted. They made it super easy. Installed on my 1989 F250 7.3 idi(obviously) 5spd 4x4 reg cab.

Its a powerhouse, i was stunned. It actually startled me when i turned the key, bc i forgot i changed it as im going through the whole coolant system, replaced the heat block element and cable. Installed drain peacocks, and may post a thread about it as it has been a process.

I read somewhere this starter will turn over off of one battery vs 2, but have not confirmed.

When you uninstall and reinstall the starter, make sure you go up with it as you go out, so where the solenoid wires attach should go up at an angle towards the engine bay. This was the key difference in getting the knew one in especially, the other way just scraped steel off the end of the new one, which i removed with a magnet after checking with my boroscope.

We will see if it lasts, but there is a 1 yr warranty on it if not.

Truck has 60k miles, sat for a long time, and just going through the systems. Happy to have it. Will post more on it later.

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
I haven't got one yet, but on here most people (seems like everyone who has tried it) like the Powermaster 9050.

I've heard they are quite good.

Maybe someone who has one will post a video for proof...

-CalIDI
I can confirm I run one of these in my truck. Works fantastic - starts very quick even in the coldest of winter days.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one a few months ago. Tough install but worth it.
I had to run to the store and get some different 1/4" wobble extensions for the right length to put the ratchet just past the back of the starter.
I put the top bolt through the flange I and taped the connected socket rig to the top of the starter before going under the truck so there would be no blind fishing. Then I lifted the starter in place, started the 2 lower bolts to get it aligned, and then started turning the upper bolt hoping for the best...and it took.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online