I want a nee Dodge for Christmas - which one?

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3/4 ton diesel now that I have to Fix Or Repair Daily and I'm getting sick of it. There are multiple failure modes for the Rue Goldberg Powerstroke and I think I've experienced about 80% of them.

I am looking for a very specific truck and it is hard enough to find that I am considering other options. If the world were made of NERF, I would be buying a 2005-2008 3500 4x4, dually, 4 door, 6 speed manual, with an 8 foot bed. Yes, a unicorn.

I've read that the manuals didn't have as much power as the automatics? If so, can that just be fixed with a programmer? (Or a p-pump). Which leads me to getting an automatic and swapping to a manual when the tranny gives out.

If I were to do a tranny swap, the ZF that I have now is about the only thing that's been flawless on my truck. I know the ZF doesn't "want" to mate up to the Dodge transfer case, but I think there are people who have done it? Or maybe I should just buy a g56 and save myself the headache?

Whew... lots of stuff going around in my head. Any opinions out there?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I’d keep the ford, they all have their issues but if you’re set on a different motor, I’d consider a 5.9 swap before buying a dodge.

The issue of power differences could be fixed with a programmer. Same engine, different tune dependent on trans from factory.

If I were to swap from auto to manual behind a 5.9 I’d go with an nv4500, they’re tough if you have the 5th gear “fixed”. The getrag is under rated for a stock truck but holds up if not abused. Don’t know enough about the nv5600 to comment.

Oh, and if you’re wanting to stay 5.9, 07 was the last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't like the zf in the first place. No way in hell I'd put one behind the rattle/torque of a Cummings.
(Yeah, sure, people do it all the time. I wouldn't)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford does make a beautiful truck, but a Dodge dually isn't a slouch either. But the Ford interior definitely wins. As far as the ZF goes, I have a ZF 5 behind my powerstroke and I love it. I don't haul that much but, when I do (one or two times a year), a diesel really reveales its purpose. Since the 6 speed trannies seem to just give you a really low 1st, I'd probably not miss the extra gear - especially since a rebuilt ZF 5 is cheaper than a used 6 speed.

Besides the Cummins, I also like the solid front axle in the Dodge. The IFS in my OBS is fantastic - at wearing out parts.

A 6.0 that is someone else's headache would make a good candidate for a Fummins. But the Cummins is longer than a powerstroke and I hear it really needs to be shoehorned in there. Then you have a Frankenstein - a lot more so than a tranny swap. I've got some stuff that's not factory now and I'm really missing the fact that I can't just get in, start it up, and drive down the road without questioning every little bump or rattle.

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...A 6.0 that is someone else's headache would make a good candidate for a Fummins. But the Cummins is longer than a powerstroke and I hear it really needs to be shoehorned in there.

I've read that a 5.9 will fit quite nicely in a Super Duty. Depending on what transmission you choose, you can leave it alone and run electric fans or shift everything back and use the cummins' mechanical fan. That means you may have to drill new holes in the crossmember or frame if moving it to the rearmost holes isn't enough as well as shortened and lenghtend driveshafts.

If and when I buy another truck, 05+ fummins is something I've been thinking about.

..Then you have a Frankenstein -.

True. Noone will want to work on it and it won't increase it's value but if you're not scared to do most repairs by yourself you should be 'aigh.

I dig frankesteins myself lol

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they’ve switched transmissions since the 5.9, but I know the current Cummins is derated with the manual because the Mercedes trans they are using had an aluminum case and isn’t rated to the 900ish lb-ft they make now. There are products out there to re-enforce the trans.

Just saying this to voice that if you get the truck, clearly wanting something more bulletproof, you may want to look at the trans before just turning up the power.

Good luck finding your unicorn!

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really need super-duper power any more... i'm much older than I used to be. I have a 60 hp tune on my pow-****-stroke right now and I've been happy with it. I did test drive an '07 automatic that they wanted too much money for and it was faster than my OBS 7.3. So I don't think I'll have a ton of trouble with a manual.

If I did a Fummons, I'd use a mechanical fan. I learned a long time ago that an electric fan will never move as much air as a mechanical. When it's over 100 deg outside, you have the A/C cranked, and you are stuck in stop-and-go traffic averaging 10 mph, you want to move all the air you can.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in this year the manual trans trucks most likely were the H.O engine. my ISB auto is a 215 hp and H.O i think is 235 hp. you can get a programmer to solve the lower power. i think the only downside to these is if you get a 53 block but only a few have problems. ive almost searched my whole block and cant find a 53 so i think i have the better Mexican block.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I keep looking for my unicorn, I see they are selling for a lot more than what they are worth. I keep getting drawn back to my original purchase of a Ford. The Ford is a nice truck, always has way fewer miles than a Dodge, and sells for several thousand less. It looks like I would expect to spend around 5K for a Fimmins kit and, as an interesting twist, there is a kit to put an Allison behing a Cummins...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I've gone from 6.2 chevies to IDIs to 7.3PSDs. Very glad I got myself into 1stgen CTDs; now its all I have.

I still miss my OBS crew. Definitely a worthy truck to Fummins.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be scared of the 48re.As a precaution,tore mine down a 415k miles and replaced a few things..it has towed it's whole life..now at 487 or so..works great still.

lpennock

Reaction score
I would be buying a 2005-2008 3500 4x4, dually, 4 door, 6 speed manual, with an 8 foot bed. Yes, a unicorn.

I've read that the manuals didn't have as much power as the automatics? If so, can that just be fixed with a programmer? (Or a p-pump). Which leads me to getting an automatic and swapping to a manual when the tranny gives out.

I got a 06 SRW for sale that meets everything else you wanted. Been in AZ since 2010 so no rust. Send me a PM if interested.

The manuals and Autos have the some power for 04.5 to 07. 07.5-08 are 6.7 motors with DPF and EGR unless they have been deleted. If you look at a deleted truck be sure to check your local inspection and emission testing requirements before buying. Autos get slightly better unloaded highway mileage because they have a higher overdrive. Manuals tow better for the same reason.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lpennock:
Wish I would have seen this sooner. I found my unicorn a few days ago. I'll be making some posts with questions. It was an Ohio truck so the underside looks like the pits of hell. But it looks like a creampuff up top. I think driving a nice truck in snow is the same thing as kicking a cute puppy.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lpennock:
Wish I would have seen this sooner. I found my unicorn a few days ago. I'll be making some posts with questions. It was an Ohio truck so the underside looks like the pits of hell. But it looks like a creampuff up top. I think driving a nice truck in snow is the same thing as kicking a cute puppy.

Lol no quite if you live in the snow you drive what fits your needs also when it's -30 you drive what starts or has the best heat but I've always used a good rust inhibitor paint that's after a good washing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online