I now have boost

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an ats 088 turbo on my 6.9 and like I have read by everyone I was only hitting about 5 psi, 7 up a hill maybe a bit more after pushing really hard. This was after I turned the fuel up 3 flats, rebuilt the turbo, and wrapped the up pipes. I figured this was normal.

Now, I readily admit I am a ******* and since owned the truck I had been meaning to take some slack out of my throttle cable because I wanted it higher up off the floor. Any time the floor mat got under the pedal it was like I could get enough fuel. So last night just for the heck of it I looked at the top of the pedal where the throttle cable slips in and there was about 1/4" of slack. I slipped on a split ring shaft collar for a 3/16" shaft (like $2 at Ace) which is about 1/4" thick. I then needed to run to the grocery store. Holy ****! I had to keep my foot out of it from going over 12 psi under 3k. I called my wife to tell her and after hearing how she does give a **** but she is happy I'm happy I went home with goose bumps. So the new project will be turn the fuel back down to keep my egts in check. Not too bad now but probably too much if I ever tow something.

Anyway lesson learned, make sure your pedal is actually opening the throttle all the way. Oh and in case you have seen my other thread I still do have a tick but I since I've been using stanadyne's additive it's been quieter, still there but quieter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Funny how full throttle makes more boost which makes more power. Good lesson for everyone to see how easy it can be to increase boost just by doing preventative maintenance... Glad you have the boost smile too. Best part of that IS ITS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a 6.0 (03 f350) before this truck (87 f250 6.9). At 53k the 6.0 injectors failed. $5k to replace (lol about twice as much as I paid for my 87). About the only difference I can tell from a 300hp 6.0 and this 215hp (I am guessing with my 60-1 compressor housing and wheel) diesel is how fast they turn. Honestly torque wise they feel exactly the same. The 6.0 motor would just spin up faster. But that isn't worth it with the cost of parts on today's new diesels. One failure of something and it always seems to be around $2k in repairs, most of it done myself. A diesel is supposed to be tougher and it feels like having to baby today's diesel for the fear of breaking something.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw one thing on the boost psi, I see a lot of guys looking for more psi. IMO I would focus on volume at any psi. My sink may have the same psi as the Colorado River, but one has more volume.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I owned a 6.0 (03 f350) before this truck (87 f250 6.9). At 53k the 6.0 injectors failed. $5k to replace (lol about twice as much as I paid for my 87). About the only difference I can tell from a 300hp 6.0 and this 215hp (I am guessing with my 60-1 compressor housing and wheel) diesel is how fast they turn. Honestly torque wise they feel exactly the same. The 6.0 motor would just spin up faster. But that isn't worth it with the cost of parts on today's new diesels. One failure of something and it always seems to be around $2k in repairs, most of it done myself. A diesel is supposed to be tougher and it feels like having to baby today's diesel for the fear of breaking something.
Dunno about a 6.0 but on a 6.7 cummins i could totally see your point. Had an'11 6.7 cummins HO even put a bully dog chip on it. Dynoed at 414hp 800tq. BUT. It ran like a **** until that turbo spooled up. It was all in the programming for emissions - dpf and such. SO. Daily driving it felt like you had to spank it to get it movin, but once it caught some rpm it really got with it. Just no throttle responce off the line.
It still irked me it had to down shift to pull a hill. Had the 6 speed auto - 3.23 gears with tall tires. Slowed down from 60-54 theeeen it hit 4th and tore ass up the hill.
The '90 f350 gets the same fuel milage around the farm too and the ip is going down the *******....

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree my 6.0 was probably broke. They all are pretty much broke or on their way to be broke.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will strongly DISagree with that statement.

Take care of it, and it will take care of you. I have a 92 N/A IDI and an 03 6.0. Trust me, there is a HUGE difference.
If you have an 03 that runs good keep it.
That is the worst software year.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an 03 that runs good keep it.
That is the worst software year.

Yeah that was the worst year of the 6.0. My pops blew up his 03 f250 work truck in about 20k. He left it at the restaurant and walked to work lol. He got tired of bringing it back to shop all the time.
Can't tell you how many people I know with those 6.0h sh*ts and all have dumped stupid gobs of money into them just to keep them on the road. Having said that, there is a list of mods that can make those engines somewhat reliable.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive a F550 for work, its been a test. New heads, studs, did oil cooler. EGR cooler is the only good thing on that year.LoL
Now I think the FICM has been all of our driveability issues, it finally died and I put on a loaner and it has never ran this good.
Sending it of to FICM repair monday.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw one thing on the boost psi, I see a lot of guys looking for more psi. IMO I would focus on volume at any psi. My sink may have the same psi as the Colorado River, but one has more volume.

Ding ding ding we have a winner! You want to BREATH.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has 166,*** miles. I've replaced a water pump, had the FICM repaired, done an EGR Delete due to the blue supply line leaking, not a cooler failure, and an ICP Sensor (By Ron at the 13 Rally). The thing's I had to replace most is the alternator.... I think I am on #5...... Nothing else on the engine has been replaced.. Synthetic Oil and Motorcraft Filters...... and the biggest thing..... NO TUNER!!!!!!

At this point, the reason the truck isn't getting much right now is the ball joints need replaced..... again.... got the parts, just need the time.....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with the 6.0 psd, but here's my story. My boss had an '06 6.0. At 75,000 it needed injectors, 125,000 a short block, 175,000 injectors again, and around 240-250,000 a complete engine. It was completely stock, but the idiot ran GAS oil in it, not diesel oil. You really can't blame the engine or injectors for that! Now on his '14 6.7, for some reason, he runs diesel oil. Amazing isn't it? Although for the life of me I can't figure out why he insists on using 10w-30 instead of 15w-40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online