I need some guidance on getting this old Cummins powered Dodge running again

Reaction score
This is My Dodge tugger that I bought a few years ago. Some friends of mine took it to their shop while I was in Iraq and got it running. They said it ran great until the bad fuel stopped working. Since then I have had the tank cleaned and I replaced the spin on fuel filter. Before I start pulling injector lines is that enough? Also, look at that bird’s nest of wires. Can someone please tell me what does not have to be there? I want to get rid of that cluster to prevent future problems. Also, how does the fuse panel that is hanging suppose to attach? I also have to repair that box on the fire wall. I notice it had melted at some point. The same thing happened to my 72 Dodge. Are they different on the diesel trucks as opposed to the gassers? I am looking for reliable back yard repairs. I cannot afford to spend any real money on this truck I just want this truck running for the time I plan to use it. After that I am pulling the engine and parting the truck. Oh yeah, what information do you Dodge guys require to help me figure out what tranny it has. I thought it was a 727 but the pan looks different than the one on my 72 Dodge.

You must be registered for see images attach

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The only wire you need is a power and ground wire to the fuel solenoid on the injection pump. The solenoid if on the block right behind the big AFC cover (the square part with the circular "thing" on it on it.) In your last picture you can barely see a red wire peeking between the throttle levers; that red wire and the blue wire behind it are attached to that solenoid. That is what controls fuel flow to the pump. In addition, there is a voltage regulator that tells the alternator to function and charge the battery. If you get both of these addressed, that is all that is required for the engine to run and trannie to shift (the TF727 is hydraulic so it does not require electronics or controls.)

The fuse box actually attaches to a small plastic panel underneath the steering column. Mine looks a little crispy too.

I think it may be good to put some fuel treatment in the truck, something to kill algae and prevent gelling. You will have about a cup of fuel inside of the injection pump, but getting the pump top off to remove the fuel (and install a 366 governor spring) is a royal pain.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Honestly, except for going into the pump, repairs on the engine are quite simple. Parts are exceptionally cheap; an oil pressure sender was $30, front brake pads and calipers with lifetime warranty $120 for both sides, alternator $50 or so. And you can reach and access everything more or less without having to remove half the top of the engine compartment.

I don't know what all those other wires are for. There was a small computer on the driver's side fender behind the battery that controlled the radio, cruise control option, and rear ABS system. There was also relays for all of the systems (I think there is 2 or 3 at most). Looks like some half-assed way of removing the old fusible links that are still on my '93.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Honestly, except for going into the pump, repairs on the engine are quite simple. Parts are exceptionally cheap; an oil pressure sender was $30, front brake pads and calipers with lifetime warranty $120 for both sides, alternator $50 or so. And you can reach and access everything more or less without having to remove half the top of the engine compartment.

I don't know what all those other wires are for. There was a small computer on the driver's side fender behind the battery that controlled the radio, cruise control option, and rear ABS system. There was also relays for all of the systems (I think there is 2 or 3 at most). Looks like some half-assed way of removing the old fusible links that are still on my '93.

Reaction score
I doubt this truck has all that. It is as stipped down as they come. I am pretty sure that had other stuff hooked up that they use on the airstrips.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I doubt this truck has all that. It is as stipped down as they come. I am pretty sure that had other stuff hooked up that they use on the airstrips.

BINGO!

Most of that crap doesn't look even remotely factory spec.
No doubt the beast had two-way radios, lights, pumps, etc. wired in.

I would clean all that mess of wires out, run your solenoid wire and alt. wire and call it good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online